Bukkit and Multiplayer

rapodaca

Contributor
Has anybody here talked to the Bukkit team about what we're doing here? http://bukkit.org/

They've developed a very nice Minecraft server with a pretty good API. Documentation isn't bad either.

Some members of that team might be interested in what we're doing here. At the least to offer pointers, but maybe even to help us develop multiplayer Terasology.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I've thought about the tantalizing possibilities myself, but haven't reached out to anybody yet. My understanding is that Bukkit is sort of a wrapper around MC, since that code is obfuscated and very difficult to write plugins for directly. So Bukkit hugs the MC code and provides hooks for plugin developers.

I figured our heavy focus on extensibility will mean we'll sort of have what Bukkit does, natively - although any help in arriving at that would be great. But I especially wonder if it would be possible to have a "TeraBukkit" that would allow MC plugins to interface with Terasology... :D

I have honestly not looked at Bukkit as much as I should tho, so I could be of the wrong perception of what it is they do.... oh - and after checking real quick, it looks like they got hired by Mojang just this Tuesday, heh :geek:

That might sort of make that whole situation a tad more tricky :)

rapodaca

Contributor
oh - and after checking real quick, it looks like they got hired by Mojang just this Tuesday, heh
I don't follow their forum. You are right though - I just checked. Might be awkward with them now being Mojang employees (?), but still worth a try. OTOH, from what I gather the Minecraft server protocol was something of a rush job. Still, there's valuable experience there.

I've written a couple of Bukkit plugins and after you get past the non-intuitive separation between the API (Bukkit) and implementation (CraftButkkit), it's pretty easy to start writing plugins.