Archived Cities and villages

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
I red this topic : http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/villages-and-ai.234/

And then :
Village is still tricky due to the multiplayer approach.[...]
I don't understand that. Why villages are tricky ? I mean, there could be villages like in Minecraft (maybe a little bigger) with PNJs who could sell/buy you things. Like an iron forger who could make you armors/weapons, etc. How different is that between solo and multiplayer ?

EDIT: I mean, if villages aren't going to be implemented because of 'multiplayer approach' I want to understand.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, villages as a concept on their own are fine, we certainly want villages. The feedback in that thread was specific to the context of having the player(s) spawn in a generated village with quests and all that sort of Skyrim-like complexity :)

I personally see villages as something the player either encounters in the wild (slowly built up in a basic fashion by NPCs) or something that is slowly created around the player's home. We could try to shoehorn the player into a generated village with quests and NPCs (single or in multi), but that would hugely change the initial feel for the game ("You're in a field, your hands are empty, enjoy!") - which makes it more of a mod / game mode IMHO, with a lot of implementation complexity to make believable and functional :)

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
Ok.
Also, I thought that the player would be able to "build" or "buy" a shop.
I explain :
The player is full of iron, gold, diamonds but hasn't the skills to build the "super effective armor of the dead", so he needs a forger. Finally he finds a village, but no forger! 'Cause the village is too small ! So, he could "build" the forge (with instructions) in the village or "buy" it to the mayor. And then there will be a forge in the village (and a forger)!
A bit like Assassin's Creed when you "repair" a shop.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That sounds like a great idea, yeah :)

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
If there are villages, there also could be monster encampments!
(Lost in the night, seeing a little light faraway, getting closer when suddenly : it's a trap ! Monsters ! Monsters everywhere !)
Even (at full moon for example), mass attack of monsters on villages. Wich mean that you could build some battlements around the village to protect your house.

So much things about villages! *o*