Archived Crafting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should there be crafting in-game in the future?

The ability to craft items and blocks should make you need to craft them to get them. Then some sort of crafting table should be in the game.

I hope this isn't going to be too much like minecraft (thinking of eventual copyrights), but we already have a block based game, so I don't think we need to worry much about that.

What do you think? Is this something we are going to see in the future? Do you have any ideas of what this system could look like in Terasology? Then post here!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yes, planned. There are existing details on initial designs stored around here.

B!0HAX

Contributor
World
Crafting from recipes?

With the B00K system (in process)
I was aiming at creating also recipes (item.book), and also the player's known (learnt) recipes GUI system.
(User hits a key to see in game menu of what he can craft and how)

Some recipes would be known by default (would be too hard to start...)
This would also create the situation of TRADING already learnt recipes or SEARCHING for acquiring new recipes...
I will post more info regarding all this idea, once I finish what I started.
(What I'm currently working on will give me more notions to do more advance stuff).

I got an idea! :D

An idea that... yes i know, it's very much like minecraft, but more advanced crafting.

to create a wooden pickaxe for example:

this is the crafting table

Step one

step two

step three

step four

step five

step six

step seven

Attachments

ironchefpython said:
GoldenDragon said:
I got an idea! :D
That's still a bit derivative.

You might take a look at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=275 and provide some feedback.
I've already read that. I showed this idea becouse I actually didn't understand all of it in that thread. :(

EDIT: by the way, is FRG for Forge?

ironchefpython

Contributor
Architecture
GoldenDragon said:
I've already read that. I showed this idea becouse I actually didn't understand all of it in that thread. :(
I suppose I should consider that valuable feedback.

And yes, FRG was a "Forge" action.

I suppose I should consider that valuable feedback.
Thanks, and think of if there are 5 year olds that find this game don't get the crafting they too, we want as many players as possible, right?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I might be stepping out on a limb here, but I don't believe we intend to target the crafting system for 5-year-olds. Great if they can play along too, that certainly works in MC and makes it an even better game. And yes, the crafting system should be understandable in general and "flow" well to the point where kids who enjoy that sort of thing can play along. You could even do a mod with simplified crafting if you really wanted. But I don't see us cutting out more advanced content in the core game specifically to cater to kids who might get confused easily.

If the other thread contains content that's tricky to understand, please ask for clarification over there so we can improve it, rather than post an alternative here that's Minecraft's system with the only difference being 7 steps instead of 4 to make a pickaxe. I'm actually going to go ahead and lock this thread as there's no point in discussing the same topic in two places, especially with the only reason for continuing this thread being "the other one is too hard so I won't bother"

I'm honestly not trying to be mean here and have revised this post over and over again for feeling bad about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.