Resolved Crash when creating new world

rejot

Using gradlew game from by working directory, I try to create a new world using the core profile. The game crashes part way through the loading screen. I tried the latest release v1.2.0 commit and the same thing happens. I looked at the log file and notice some mentions of NVIDIA. I switched out the NVIDIA card in my machine for an ATI card and switched drivers a couple months ago, but it seems there are some remnants of NVIDIA on my machine. Any ideas on why it shows NVIDIA in the log file?

Attachments

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @rejot :)

Very peculiar about the NVIDIA reference. Even more peculiar that the game works if it thinks it is running on a video card no longer in your machine?

Maybe the log can be explained by a dirty video card driver setup, and the logs are just showing the first video card found, yet the game ends up running on the ATI? That might be something we need to look at, but it is a tricky situation to investigate. Maybe a driver cleanup utility would clear up your system and even the log (but not improve the logs to better show available cards)

What crashes you might be if you still have an old homedir, like from back when you originally forked the project long ago? I'm seeing a couple clues in the log:

Code:
Java: 1.7.0_25 in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
C:\Users\Rejo\Downloads\Terasology\modules\Core-0.45.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
The latest version of the game shouldn't even run on Java 7, and that version of Core predates our Alpha release back in March. It is possible you're running a newer engine but are getting outdated modules from the game data dir. That could easily cause crashes. Try deleting:

C:\Users\Rejo\Saved Games\Terasology

And rerun the game. Alternatively maybe I'm just looking at the log from one run and you're describing more than one (the v1.2.0 engine release is way newer and wouldn't run on Java 7)

rejot

Oops, sorry :(. That log file was last modified in 2014! It must have came from running a released build which is why it was in the saved games directory. The logs from running my source build was in my working directory. The log shows that it is in fact using ATI. See my edited post above.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Good to hear about that one bit of confusion clearing up! I think you still have bits and pieces of an old setup interfering though:

Code:
08:54:01.942 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: BuilderSampleGameplay-1.2.1-SNAPSHOT
08:54:01.958 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: Core-1.2.1-SNAPSHOT
08:54:01.958 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: CoreSampleGameplay-1.2.1-SNAPSHOT
08:54:01.958 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: WildAnimals-0.1.0
08:54:01.989 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: MarkovChains-1.1.0
08:54:02.020 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: MarkovChains-1.5.1-SNAPSHOT
08:54:02.020 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: NameGenerator-0.4.0
08:54:02.020 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: NameGenerator-0.4.1-SNAPSHOT
08:54:02.036 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: Pathfinding-0.1.0
08:54:02.036 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: Pathfinding-0.2.0-SNAPSHOT
So you're running from source, with some outdated modules in place, with a somewhat older Java 8u25. You're getting a really weird error:

Code:
08:54:27.573 [main] ERROR o.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine - Uncaught exception, attempting clean game shutdown
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: null
   at org.terasology.asset.Assets.getTexture(Assets.java:133)
   at org.terasology.world.block.entity.damage.BlockDamageRenderer.initialise(BlockDamageRenderer.java:63)
   at org.terasology.engine.ComponentSystemManager.initialiseSystem(ComponentSystemManager.java:148)
   at org.terasology.engine.ComponentSystemManager.initialise(ComponentSystemManager.java:132)
   at org.terasology.engine.modes.loadProcesses.InitialiseSystems.step(InitialiseSystems.java:50)
   at org.terasology.engine.modes.StateLoading.update(StateLoading.java:242)
   at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.mainLoop(TerasologyEngine.java:413)
   at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.run(TerasologyEngine.java:368)
   at org.terasology.engine.Terasology.main(Terasology.java:152)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayStoreException: org.terasology.world.block.shapes.JsonBlockShapeLoader
   at org.terasology.asset.AssetType.<init>(AssetType.java:135)
   at org.terasology.asset.AssetType.<init>(AssetType.java:127)
   at org.terasology.asset.AssetType.<clinit>(AssetType.java:58)
   ... 9 common frames omitted
08:54:27.574 [main] INFO  o.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine - Shutting down Terasology...
That line number for Assets.getTexture doesn't match anything, but then I don't know if that may make sense as the exception is about a static initializer somehow. Could you try making sure your workspace is super clean and update to the latest Java 8?

If you tried to re-use an old source workspace it may be better to do a nice new clean clone from GitHub.

rejot

Hi Cervator,

It is working now. I deleted all modules not part of the main repo. I also had to run it once without starting a new world but immediately exiting. Thanks for the help.