dev/main, java

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
As I look at the folder structure of the develop branch and some of the modules, I'm left wanting for a confirmation of the precise usage of some of the recurring folders.
  1. Is the "src/main" folder where all the important code of the engine and modules goes?
    • why is there a "src/main/java" folder? Just to separate code from resources? Could it contain anything else?
  2. What is the "src/dev" folder for, in the engine and core module?
  3. Is the "src/test" folder supposed to host unit test code?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
src/main and all that follow the Maven Standard Directory Layout which can explain the reasoning and give much better examples than I can do here. Yep, src/test is for tests :)

We diverge in a few spots, such as with src/dev - those spots are for utilities that aren't really part of the main codebase needed for the game to run. An example is benchmark tests, terrain preview imagers, and so on. Another example is how we actually have all engine tests in an engine-tests sub-project rather than in engine's src/test - in that case that's because of a quirky dependency issue since the engine's tests contain utility test classes used by module tests.