Distros - names and content

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I posted a small section on "Distros" over in my big module tracker thread, but didn't go into much detail and was still pretty raw on my ideas there. So in an attempt to narrow in on some more exact details here's a thread to just consider naming, content, and related.

I went with Greek letters, since Terasology is sort of Greek/Latin inspired, and looking for a few good names simply wrote down the alphabet (alpha sorted by their name, not actual letter). Good candidates are bold, poor ones are in italics (all IMHO):
  • alpha - development phase, poor choice
  • beta - same
  • chi
  • delta - confusion potential vs delta prefabs and "change" in general
  • epsilon
  • eta - confusion potential vs the time term (are we there yet?)
  • gamma - slight confusion maybe possible vs rare development phase or radiation ..
  • iota - "minimum modules needed to play normally"
  • kappa
  • lambda
  • mu
  • nu
  • omega - "iota + official content (TTA, L&S, etc)"
  • omicron
  • phi
  • pi
  • psi
  • rho
  • sigma - "ALL stable module" (sum thereof)
  • tau
  • theta
  • upsilon
  • xi - Anything else (Jenkins view only)
  • zeta
Distros are a little tricky as they to me at least can mean different things. A quick overview of my thoughts/definitions:

Iota

Name: Chosen as it represents a very tiny, minimal amount of something. Smallest part imaginable. "Omicron" (meaning "little") might actually pair better with "Omega", but alpha sorts wrong, argh! Probably also less well known.
Scope: Module set, Launcher technical option, Jenkins view, dependency target, primary TWOVANA test suite
Terms: As minimal central content everything is under Apache 2.0 / CC BY SA and community owned + maintained. Only root repos under the Terasology org on GitHub allowed.
Uses: Modders should be able to rely on Iota modules always being present and always being 100% compatible with each other. No stable release is allowed unless Iota is completely green and tested. Iota should contain a few basic gameplay templates that activate almost the whole set of modules and nothing else - notably the few gameplay modules are the main exclusions since you don't want our equivalent of "Creative" active at the same time as "Survival" (clashing rules)

Omega

Name: Chosen as it means "great", "last", "end", etc, and generally is understood well as something large or ultimate. Also, its lowercase form is a pair of buttocks
Scope: Module super set of Iota, Launcher user option, Jenkins view, possible secondary TWOVANA test set
Terms: Ideally same as Iota, but maybe we can be more lax if somebody would really like to prevent something like commercial use of their art assets. So at least "free as in beer" with CC BY-NC at worst for a small subset, but hopefully not (I don't have any plans or desire to see anything NC in Omega and we could probably just agree on CC BY SA if nobody minds sharing their Omega efforts). Hopefully all root repos under the Terasology org and maintained by the community
Uses: Primary distribution of the game including the "interesting" gameplay templates like Throughout the Ages, Light & Shadow, and so on. While most their building blocks are in Iota the gameplay modules are not guaranteed to be compatible with each other, and will not be tested together (although we might test by template)

Sigma

Name: Fairly well known as the "sum" of something. But mainly I just wanted something that alpha-sorted after Omega and could mean "even more" ...
Scope: Module super set of Omega, Jenkins view, Launcher third party "mod pack" type options
Terms: More open to individual modders' preferences. Root repos under Terasology org or forks/mirrors of third party accounts. Possibly some gameplay modules in here could be premium if any such ever show up. Not necessarily maintained by the community.
Uses: Not so much a distribution as a container of a larger amount of stable modules we'd want to offer officially for the game, either directly (our stuff) or indirectly (other people's stuff flowing through our infrastructure). While it might be possible to simply ask the launcher "Give me everything Sigma!" then pick a specific gameplay template in-game my goal here is more to just group and pick stuff by template, not everything at once (which could run into problems if anything premium gets mixed in)

Xi

Name: No good fitting meaning, just a bunch of more or less obscure math hits. But it is short, looks cool, and alpha-sorts last ;) Could perhaps be convinced to use "Zeta" instead?
Scope: Jenkins view
Terms: Undefined
Uses: Pretty much just the final Module tab in Jenkins that would contain "everything else" such as experimental modules not considered stable yet. Launcher wouldn't care but maybe some modules would be available "loose" in a module manager app/site (with enough disclaimers over likely instability)

Possible extras:
  • Zeta as simply referring to all wholly third party modules entirely outside our infrastructure? Not sure we'd have a use for such a term, but maybe
  • Applet simply to have an alternative module list for the applet (less soundtrack, more notable content)
  • AWT if we ever awaken that facade again.
  • Maybe a module list for Android/OUYA.
  • Etc.
Notes:
  • Module set is primarily just a way to group things for various purposes. Each of the main distros is a super set of the prior, so everything Iota is assumed to be in Omega and so forth. Gradle could be made to auto-retrieve source modules for everything in a distro like Iota with a little work. A module managing app/site might organize modules by distro (among other ways)
  • Jenkins is one of my first uses for distros, in particular since we've gone "Omega" for the main game download. I'd like to reorganize the views to "Iota, Omega, Sigma, Xi" (alpha sorts in order, yay!) and promote / demote modules automatically between them via @Gooey on IRC. Iota modules wouldn't be in the Omega view, no Omega in Sigma, etc
  • Launcher should mainly care about Omega as the "standard" download. With module customization it might want to grab a base Iota zip instead of a barren engine zip to start with? It could query for "mod packs" (think FTB launcher) available in Sigma (everything considered stable) without having to care about a Sigma zip (we don't even have anything presently that would be a Sigma module)
  • Dependency set - down the road there may be a use case where you'd want to depend on a gameplay archetype without having to explicitly call out every module. The gameplay templates in Iota could offer that ("survival", "creative", etc). Alternatively I'm tempted to offer editable templates, like everything Iota as an "optional" dependency so you can play survival but disable "Breathing" if you're scared of drowning.
  • TWOVANA - we'd want to run automated acceptance tests on a specific suite of modules, Iota makes the most basic option (with some question of whether to enable all modules or only the most "normal" gameplay template)
  • Terms: Grouping modules in "rings" from our core sounds a bit like what I wrote in the ancient licensing/guideline thread - although keep in mind that's an old, obsolete, and never-made-it-past-draft-stage thread. I really want to keep Omega like Iota (Apache 2 + CC BY SA) but we haven't formally tagged our art assets yet so need to confirm with our artists first
  • "Distro" as a term may be kinda inaccurate in the first place ... feel free to suggest alternatives!
What's in Iota?

This might be the most interesting part, on how we organize our very base modules. We've slowly been pulling stuff out of the Core module - how far do we go? @Josharias has an outstanding PR on adding a CoreSampleGameplay module that would go in the engine repo and contain the starting inventory so you can leave that disabled if you want (mainly for other modules that depend on Core but don't want the starting inventory)

Purely from organizational Zen I'd want no modules in the engine repo at all, but that would be mildly inconvenient for devs / would-be modders if cloning the engine repo alone wouldn't give you a game that could run without further setup.

If we just have one module then we could continue with the build.gradle template for modules living there. Two modules may get tricky with duplication. Could we have a single module "Player" that just contained a primitive player? Although headless servers might not need that. What about the basic worlds? Primitive "World" module needed to run the game client for testing? Maybe just include the Flat world? But now you need basic blocks too.

Do we keep "Core" or name it something else? I'm tempted to split it into uniquely named pieces and kick them all out (I want "Core" the term for something else). Maybe if we have a Gradle convenience command able to fetch everything Iota at once, maybe automatically if they're not present. Or should we do that but with an extreme minimal set like Player + World instead of all Iota? Or could we just declare the Player and World as dependencies (on the PC facade?) so they'll get pulled as binaries on the first "gradlew" call? That actually could work?!?

So kick out all modules, move the Core build.gradle into /templates, and attach some module dependencies to the PC facade so you'd get them on trying to run the game from a source workspace? Logically the player, a world, and so on are dependencies for the PC facade, even if they aren't functional code dependencies. That way the engine could be truly isolated (repo and dependency-wise) and you could have assorted projects purely depend on the engine without any connection to facade or modules.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Addendum - if we have a Player module with the basic "default" player config, could gameplay modules provide their own player prefab / config to replace or tweak the base player prefab? That might be already be the case. But if we end up with a very basic Player module I wonder if you could run in Observer mode without even the Player module active. If that's actually a desirable thing. Or provide entirely different Player implementations.

I'm not very sure how granular we should get on Iota modules, but that's probably bikeshedding and not very important. I earlier thoughts "Doors" could be its own module but we really could just cram a bunch of related stuff into a "Furnishings" module (talked about that with @Skaldarnar recently)

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
There is support for prefab deltas, allowing modules to add to and alter prefabs from their dependencies.

I would suggest being careful not to be overly granular with modules. A gametype does have the choice not to use features from a dependency by never created prefabs with the relevant components.

shartte

Contributor
Architecture
I am a bit late to the party here, although I would have gone with "minimal" and "full" :p

At least there's a chance that an unsuspecting end user could deduce what those distros contain.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I am a bit late to the party here, although I would have gone with "minimal" and "full" :p

At least there's a chance that an unsuspecting end user could deduce what those distros contain.
Also a good point :D

Really, the only one casual users should be exposed to is Omega. Which might yet turn into the plain "Terasology.zip" we encourage those who want the launcher-less game to grab.

Main new curiosity right now is whether a an entirely module-less engine repo would make sense, with a few module dependencies in the PC facade making sense (since they're needed at runtime for launching the game on a PC with a sensible setting). We can use the same trickery as current modules use to copy in module binaries from the local Gradle cache to /modules

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Using gradle to pull in all modules in a "distro"
I would love this. I would also mention that the term "distro" used in this way is getting extremely similar to the term "mod pack" as used in a setting like the FTB launcher. The only difference in functionality is that Terasology can enable/disable modules in the game main menu.

Content in the engine repo
From a new developer (to Terasology) perspective, it would be nice to have an engine repository that can completely explain (through the presence of code) how Terasology uses all the underlying libraries (gestalt*, protobuf, gson, lwjgl) to create an rendered voxel environment.

From this perspective it would seem necessary to also have, at minimum, a sample gameplay module that can generate a world and allow the player to walk around to explore all the engine's systems in action. We would want to reduce the feature set of the engine to a bare minimum so that the testing load for a developer making engine changes is less.

Things like inventory and health (and possibly more) could be put into a non-engine module and evolved separate from the engine. Granted, there would be some work involved with getting the sample gameplay module to a state where you could explore all features given by the engine. However, it would be a great step in minimizing the risks involved whenever anything is committed to the engine repo.

This brings me to the question of, "what kind of gameplay do we want the engine to provide out of the box?". This list of things should be a much smaller set than what we want to provide with an Iota distro, but should include enough functionality that all the features of the engine can be tested without using console commands. If I were to put together a list I would likely come up with:
  1. Walk, run, swim, and climb around in a procedurally generated voxel world.
  2. Add and remove voxels to the world
    1. Possibly use a extremely simplistic held item system where you can select the currently held item from a list. Maybe closer to how the Minecraft PE works in creative mode. Possibly even without a hotbar at the bottom.
    2. Possibly instant destruction of blocks.
  3. Interact with blocks in the world.
    1. Possibly just the door block?
  4. Multiplayer all of the above
There are a lot of extra stuff in the engine that goes beyond the above list, and I suppose that is in part my point. By extracting as much as possible, we ensure that there are minimal restrictions to module development.

Also, the sample gameplay module would not be the basis on which to build a real game mode. Possibly we would not want to distribute it at all with the distro that is available to end users. Which, when thinking of the implications of not distributing it, would encourage treating the engine repo as if it had no modules at all, which is very close to "organization zen".

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the thoughts! :)

"Distro" the term is definitely getting tricky and overly ambiguous. I'm very interested in alternatives.

I wonder if the whole of Iota should be a dependency of the PC facade. That would get you (after running gradlew once) everything needed to experience the engine and the general features of something playable, including sample gameplay that may as well be basic "creative" mode. Although to me it makes sense to throw in "survival" gameplay too, since that would allow demonstration of combat, damage, death, and so forth :)

Then if a developer/modder wants to see how it all works - gradlew fetchModuleInventory to check out inventory functionality (and modify it as source takes precedence over binary). Or just a single command to retrieve everything Iota in module source form. Despite us tearing everything interesting content-wise out of the engine a brand new author would still have it all, just most in easily replaceable binary form.

One of the big problems for a while now is how "empty" the project is with just the engine cloned, and we'd make that even "worse" by extracting more stuff. This way we sort of fix that up some while also quieting the engine repo in favor of more modules

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Quick addendum: Talked to @Immortius a bit on IRC and it seems like the PC facade having runtime module dependencies sounds feasible enough as long as we check for any unintended consequences. So that's cool to have confirmed.

As for where to load a full Iota list - that's more interesting. Gets into a dilemma I've had in Jenkins on how builds/distros work between stable releases / master branches and nightly releases / develop branches. Currently the Index repo isn't branched, at least not the distro part (always using master). Maybe it should, and module lineup changes after a stable release should go to the develop branch for Iota, then merged to master at stable release time (eventually along with other Indexer type release changes)

Then stable and nightly Iota packagers would make more sense and local dev could always use the develop (latest) branch version of the Iota list, unless the user puts in an override to favor master - which could be done much like currently in Jenkins. Release builds differ as they detect an environment variable set by Jenkins, making Gradle produce release artifacts instead of snapshots. Anyway, I can sort that out.

In the end we could do a URL include of a Gradle file from the engine repo to get the Iota list of modules for the PC facade to have a runtime dependency on, copying the binaries into /modules. We require internet access to develop anyway, and this would be a dependency on GitHub, not our Jenkins. We should eventually push forward stuff from Artifactory to Bintray etc so that's also not a point of failure.

@msteiger - URL includes like that may also be a good alternative to Git Submodules, which are trickier to use (extra steps) and have some horror stories attached in some cases.

(this all may sound a little confusing due to 2 am)

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
I agree with @Immortius about being careful about not over splitting the engine without need. In general I think we should wait with adding complexity until there is need for it.

Specifically I think we should simply merge the pull request from @Josharias which moves the starting inventory creation into a new CoreSampleGameplay module.

The idea of distributions is nice but I think it's a seperate issue from splitting up engine/core in modules..

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Fair enough :)

I used that PR to kick off this discussion but certainly there's no need to keep it waiting. Merged it all in.