Drawbridges? Gators/crocks?

nodots

Can this be done? I would think yes, but I know nothing of modding... Would be awesome to be able to add a functional drawbridge to my castle to cross the moat.

Thoughts? (Are there how-to's for making mod's?)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Sure, could be done - might take a little more work to get an animated drawbridge, but alternatively you could essentially take a door, flip it on its side, and make it bigger :)

The "dynamicBlocks" module also has a persistent yet dynamic block you can move around the world, maybe something similar could chain together a bunch of blocks that end up working like a drawbridge

Finally you can add models like gators/crocks too, need to put together said model in a module, can look in oreominions for a good example, and maybe add them as spawnables from portals (or just as minions) :)

There is a Modding Guide in the GitHub Wiki but it doesn't have a lot of advanced examples yet. Making a drawbridge should definitely be doable, but it probably would be a bit of work

nodots

I have no experience with java or any of the tools used in making mods for this game except Blender, so to simply make a new basic block is nearly out of the question... At least until a complete how-to video comes out. (Pages of text tend to raise more questions for me than they answer.)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
nodots - in that case you might want to keep an eye out for more block shape tutorials by A'nW like the one posted here - it is aimed for making new blocks in Blender and maybe you could start by making some individual shaped blocks that could be used in a drawbridge? Not totally sure how that would work, but if you build a drawbridge that doesn't move and show it off you might attract somebody who can't do art but wants to make your blocks move :)

nodots

Cervator, I have watched it already. I have blender and the plugins installed, but now I need to know just how to create the block, like sizes... Does the game take a block in an exact size? Is the default starting block that size? How do I map the texture, in blender or in another file? Just how many blocks can be linked into one structural entity? Does a block have to have corners on the 16x16 grid made up by the pixels? These would be great questions for a video to answer by making a chair or trap door.

My modding right now is based on changing the save data files by hand. I have found this to be pretty useful to manipulate difficult blocks to manage or place - like water. I can build a roof out of water without filling the house! You should see how that looks...

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
A'nW should be able to help answer those questions, and has another video or two coming with more details :)

Linking blocks together is something we need more work & doc on. Will try to review some more when I get home, and look at that attachment too. At work and all that, supposed to be doing stuff ... :sleep:

nodots

Well, I will be living in Las Vegas by Saturday. Big move this week... I'll be busy for the next week, won't have much time to play/test/mod. After that, someone needs to get the video done! :rofl:

As I am not much of a 3D architect, and not a java coder, I can mainly help out with ideas - that is, until I learn to create blocks! I need chairs, tables, beds, couches, a drawbridge, weapon racks, etc. When I can create my own blocks, I will create a "Medieval Castle" pack (and just to make sure that I don't go over on ID's, it will probably be a stand alone mod/pack).

"Give a man a mod, you have entertained him for a day. Teach a man to mod, you have entertained him for life!" - nodots

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That water roof is clever! Would've never thought to try that :D

Interesting too the way it impacts jumping - there's something quirky about the way velocity changes when entering/exiting a liquid and with it being above you it works like a weird trampoline :)

Good luck with the move to Vegas, and stay safe over there so you can make of lots of block shapes :cool:

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey, there.
I like your ideas nodots! About the video, yep, it will be out soon, just got super busy with life this last couple of weeks. The next video I do will be addressing what you need to know to be able to make Terasology block shapes and how you could make a very basic one. Then, later videos will go into more depth with tips for texturing and such.

nodots

A'nW, I understand about life - I just moved successfully to Las Vegas. Been real busy, finding a bed and places to apply for work, etc. As far as ideas, that's what I do! ;) Just as long as a video get's put up at some point, I'm happy.