Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
Hello! I am developing a system of crafting. And now I have faced the problem - I don't know how dropped items should be rendered =(

Like mod for minecraft "3d Items":

Like minecraft origin (billboards):

Or like 3d shapes:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey Adeon, I would go with the 3D Items approach or as 3D Shapes with the right physical impacts.
Although that would look nice, you have to keep an eye on the processing time for calculation (espacially if you go with the shapes and physics approach).

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Difficult, indeed...
Is this just planned for crafting or in general as a block breaks?
For crafting, craftable things I'd go with the real 3d shapes but as Skaldarnar noted, it can become very processing intensive once there're more entities.

Just for my interest: how difficult is it to keep track of the number of items/blocks lying on the ground?
One just could interchange the different methodes based on this count or current fps ratio :)

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Then I'd totally recommend some sort of control mechanism - imagine we go 3d shapes and someone breaks a completely full chest. some hundreds of entities with full 3d shapes flooding the world (and trying to physically interact...)

I'm just curious: how difficult would it be to say:
if framerate < 30 for some frames: switch to next cheaper rendering methode
if framerate > 60 (?) for some frames: switch to better rendering methode

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
if framerate < 30 for some frames: switch to next cheaper rendering methode
if framerate > 60 (?) for some frames: switch to better rendering methode
Good idea=)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I like the idea of going for better detail but optimizing as per what the user's computer can handle - if that doesn't add too much complexity :)

I would add one additional "state" though - placed items vs dropped items. If you just throw a held pickaxe I'd like for it to bounce around as a 3d object (unless that's too processor intensive at the moment). But there should probably be a way to place a sub-block item on the ground in a structured manner or as a subtly different object. That would be good for crafting, too.

One example could: breaking a leaf block drops some twigs and leaves, which may need to be a billboard (too "messy" to have a shape). Then pick that up and place it back down in a structured approach as kindling - which would probably be more like a small block (or pyramid), stuck in a static position, and either not subject to collision detection or having a simple small hit box. And not being pickable without the player breaking / clicking it.

It may really need to be a per-object decision. Big sticks = 3D objects; Small twigs & leaves = billboard.

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Anyone played the elder scrolls? You can drop items and then carry them around. This would enhance the technique Cervator described.
Maybe for intermideate solution: have the drop-key be chargable so if you just press it short you drop it but when you hold the key it gets thrown further. (or simply two keys, one drop, one throw :D)

For the object types: Maybe every object has a list of available forms (mesh, 3d item, billboard), eg:
big stick: (True, True, False)
small leaves: (False, True True)
and the engine just has it's changeRenderState or whatsoever which renders the best available one below the threshold.
For example: an Item has (True, False, True) and the engine shall switch from best to second best it would actually display the third one because second best is not available.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
All sounds good, and yeah dragging around items dropped on the floor akin to ES would be cool :)

The drop-key is already chargeable! Hold it longer to throw further :D

Could perhaps differentiate between a throw with next to no power (minimal click time) and have that count as the structured "place as block" or "use on block" even for non-blocks that have actions mapped to left/right click. Actually, that makes my "potential" sensor tingle, since I had a "use on block" in my crafting suggestion that could benefit from an outright action rather than having the engine figure out whether a left/right click should interact with crafting.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice :)

Do the items get that light blue outline added dynamically?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Cool - I'd love to see that :)

Especially since that's another factor you can use for gameplay - items or magic that'll enable said outline for your convenience.

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Sweet one!
I umst admit i never played D1, but different outlines for different classes/tiers of items sound nice