Resolved Extreme lag and initial errors!

LelixSuper

Hello everyone, I just started to play Terasology, but I immediately fell in love there! I play with Gnu / Linux Ubuntu 13.04, I have the latest version of Java. These are the features of the PC:
Processor -> Intel® Core™ i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4
Graphics card -> Intel ® Sandybridge Mobile
RAM -> 4GB
Type OS -> Ubuntu 13.04 64bit

I do not know why always around 20FPS on, and when I start the game here are the errors (also it is always dark when I play, that's it, or is my PC?):

p.s. sorry if I write bad, but I'm Italian
p.p.s. I play it the same, but I'd love to solve problems!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi LelixSuper !

When you play, what graphic settings do you use in-game? What build are you using? And can you copy paste / attach your log file? That would help a lot :)

20 FPS on a laptop isn't good, but it could be worse - a lot of mobile video cards cannot support the game at all. There is an active bug related to the shadow calculations that can cause some types of darkness in-game, but it sounds like you might be hitting something different.

LelixSuper

I use the latest build, the one on the official site (over the button download latest version). For the log does not know how to do D=
... here are my video settings:

Can anything be done?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, you're on the lowest settings, so not much to do there (I doubt the Outline shader eats a lot of resources but you could try to turn it off). We probably have to address the game code to see if there are issues for you that we can solve :)

Have you updated your video card drivers to the very latest version? That might help

To get the log file look under C:\Users\[YourUser]\Saved Games\Terasology\logs

You should be able to attach the main .log from there to this thread, or copy-paste it onto a site like pastebin.com :)

LelixSuper

Excuse my ignorance, but I do not know if I've updated the Intel Driver. From what I know Ubuntu should update them alone if they are open source, but I do not think that they are. Soon they'll update. My laptop is still recent, has only 1 year. Sorry again, but in the log there are hundreds of text files! What will I send?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh, sorry, I completely missed that you were on Ubuntu :)

In the logs directory there should be a single "Terasology.log" - everything else is a pile of shader stuff I'm not really sure what's doing in the log dir.

Googling around a little the graphics driver update might be sort of tricky. That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten on Linux on my primary PC yet - usually have to end up custom-compiling some stuff somewhere, and no time to spare for that :(

Hopefully there'll be an actual code issue we can solve instead

LelixSuper

Lately, Intel is releasing drivers for GNU / Linux, even created a program management opensource drivers for GNU / Linux ;)
However, I know that my graphics card is not suitable for games, but right now I can stand Minecraft fixed at 60 FPS ...
Here is the log: http://bit.ly/1fqj8vT

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ah-hah! Thanks for that log, it does list multiple shader errors but they're of the kind I hope are fairly straight forward. Example:

17:07:44.369 [main] WARN o.t.r.a.GLSLShaderProgramInstance - 0:423(7): preprocessor error: syntax error, unexpected IDENTIFIER, expecting NEWLINE
0:421(34): preprocessor error: Unterminated #if

Also, doh, I think when I first saw this it was from work where tinypic is blocked, so I didn't see the screenie in the original post ... which pretty much explains exactly what I've been trying to slowly draw out, argh! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I made a formal issue on GitHub for it - #681 - and am hoping begla gets a chance to look at it soon. I know he's busy at work though, so it may be a week or two :)

Edit: Oh, you also have bad/duplicate module files in your game data dir:

17:07:19.406 [main] ERROR org.terasology.logic.mod.ModManager - Invalid mod file: /home/emanuele/.terasology/mods/plants.jar
17:07:19.557 [main] INFO org.terasology.logic.mod.ModManager - Discovered duplicate mod: Hunger and consumables, skipping

I'm not sure if that relates to your lag, but you might want to delete /home/emanuele/.terasology completely and see if that helps any (or at least makes those log statements go away). That'll delete any existing worlds, of course.

LelixSuper

Phew, it was harder to understand than expected! Google Translate fake!
Anyway thank you for reportato on Github for me!
I deleted. Terasology, I've played for another 5 minutes. But I do not know why I created the log file. Moreover, the game is always very dark :(

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah we need to fix those shader errors. That can probably be improved through code. Hang on for a week or two and hopefully begla can find something :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

XanHou

Contributor
Architecture
The framerate can be bumped up a notch by going in the config file and disabling a bunch of settings that are not (yet) in the ingame config.
Even on the lowest settings there are a few heavy post-processing effects active.
If you mess up, just delete the config and it should be generated again when you start Teresology up again.

In Windows the config.cfg is stored in user/Saved Games/Terasology/
Not sure where it would end up on linux.
You can open it as a normal text file.

I disabled bloom, motionblur and ssao without problems.
There are a few options that will cause glitches or strange behaviour, so it can be a bit of trial and error.

Personally I don't like all those post-processing effects anyway.
But begla seems to like to implement post-processing effects.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Shame on me for implementing all of them... ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
All the effects are fine - but yes, we need them all listed in the in-game graphic settings for easier config :D

LelixSuper

Excuse me, but I just got back from vacation xD
Can you tell me in a few words what you will do? I do not know English very well and I find it hard to understand your posts :/

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Okay :)
  1. Download latest multiplayer build
  2. Delete local game data directory
  3. Run game. Is the game still very dark? Do you get the "shader compile error" again?

LelixSuper

It seems to work! I've posted the images, including video settings. I have also left the Terasology.log :)

I also do not give more initial errors =D
Terasology.log -> http://bit.ly/15NTu5F
Now I go to 15fps fixed, and although there are few I can play very well. Thank you so much!

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
It seems to work! I've posted the images, including video settings. I have also left the Terasology.log :)

I also do not give more initial errors =D
Terasology.log -> http://bit.ly/15NTu5F
Now I go to 15fps fixed, and although there are few I can play very well. Thank you so much!
Cool, glad the fixes worked out for you! :)