Inactive Facially Expressive Models

glasz

Contributor
Art
Name: expressive bob
Summary: Implement swapable face features on a model.
Scope: Mod (?)
Current Goal: Create/update a texture using separate graphical elements.
Phase: Design
Curator: glasz
Related:

The idea, that has allready been discussed here is to update the face texture of a model so as to have it change expressions. Rather than swap the whole face i will use a set of face features to compose the face and then use it as the new texture. I will use python/panda3D to try and make a small demo.

My first idea was to have everything on a texture and change the UV coordinates on the model but there are a number of annoying complications, even when swapping the whole face. I'm thinking now it's simpler and more intuitive to rewrite the whole texture (using precreated images) and update it.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Don't know a thing about the coding but I like the expression on the faces ;) I think I have see that last one on my wife's face a lot here lately o_O

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Cool. I think depending on how well it works it might be part of the core content :)

glasz

Contributor
Art
Started a first version :

Currently there are 3 eyes (open, half closed, closed), 3 eyebrows (up, neutral, frown), and only one neutral mouth.

If somebody want to test the p3d , you will need panda 3d player : http://www.panda3d.org/download.php?runtime

keys f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m will switch the eyes and eyebrows expression.

Plan now is to make the model and textures a little better, and see how to make the process as simple as possible.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Works! Looks good, tho very detailed :D

Seems like more of a Bobette, too ;)

glasz

Contributor
Art
Yup with those eyes it's more a bobette, i should have stuck with my first drawings :D