Archived Failed Install

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Opensuse - that may be a first. What actually happened - at what point did something break? More details would be good :)

There are also more log files, that one is the init log which looks fine (usually there are three - init, menu, game/world). Did the game crash on trying to create and enter a world?

What are your hardware specs? Latest driver for whatever your GPU is and is it the official proprietary one or an open source alternative?

Mark77

Thanks for the reply.

System specs
AMD Phenom(tm) II n830 Triple-Core Processor
4 Gigs ram
Code:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0489
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
    Memory at f2200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Memory at f2100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon
When I run ./run_linux.sh I get this:
Screenshot from 2015-09-25 19:14:41.png

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Interesting. So it really does die during initial game initialization and you never make it to world creation or the other two logs. There's just no error at all in the init log.

The only clue is the "ExceptionInInitializerError" right there on the CrashReporter screen. I wonder why we didn't get the full stacktrace from that anywhere in the log. It looks to relate to static initialization and there may be a hidden cause we could retrieve in code and get more exact details (pinging @msteiger + @Florian in case of ideas)

Often with somewhat obscure issues like this similar errors with Minecraft (which also uses LWJGL) can provide some clues. Does MC work on that system? There are lots of MC hits for that error on Google, but it may be hard to guess at which if any relate.

Usually on laptop systems the video card is problematic. Sometimes it can relate to there being two actual video cards to pick from, but I figure this system just has one? We also saw a similar issue where a user was hooking a laptop up to an external monitor and the issue only presented itself that way.

Opensuse and the mildly unusual tri-core system also stick out, but are probably unlikely to relate. I'm the most curious about whether any other LWJGL-based games can run on that system?

Mark77

We also saw a similar issue where a user was hooking a laptop up to an external monitor and the issue only presented itself that way.
That is exactly what I am doing. My laptop monitor is broken so I use an external monitor. Was their a fix for it?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Maybe - it is a little questionable.

I dug out the similar related issue: https://github.com/MovingBlocks/DestinationSol/issues/40

It is actually for our fairly newly adopted open source game Destination Sol, which is based on LibGDX which in turn is based on LWJGL 2 just like Terasology. We ran into a few seemingly similar issue with the last few releases of LWJGL. One user was able to fix an issue (for DestSol) on a Linux laptop by replacing some files related to a newer LWJGL build manually. There's a bit back and forth about being related to dual GPUs or the external monitor thing (two different users)

You could even try out DestSol and see if the same thing happens there. Might be helpful to know.

We know of an issue or two like that with Terasology as well, so it may well relate. And LWJGL 3 is just about out, but not quite, and may fix it. Or even just trying to cram those last few latest files in may help. It depends some on the exact error hiding behind that sort of vague error the CrashReporter presents.

So we'd probably need to do some technical tinkering with a custom build to see if it might help. Which in turn could be helpful in general if we fix things. But that'll take some of your time and some from a person on our side and I'm personally under crazy day job pressure these days :)

If you're up for that and we can find the right timing we could try it out. I'll have a hard time helping for at least a week or two, but if we get lucky catching another related person on IRC over the weekend or later that might work too. Do you idle on IRC occasionally by chance? That'd be one way - hang out till activity picks up and see if anybody has some spare time and skills :)