Resolved Fps drop and freeze

Charlie

Hello. I tried Terasology online first and had no problems. So i downloaded. And it ran fine on insane settings. Then it started lagging, then lagging and crashing. I've tried both stable and development builds with same issues. I've tried core and lost ages.

Have:
i5
8gigs of ram
windows 7 ultimate
GeForce GTS 250 1 gig ram

Tried to take screen shots. the one in game doesnt have the specs across the top. And PrtScrn just has a black screen. Memory usage is 247.50m of 247.50m. And it crashes when Rendering NUI get around 51.63ms. Ill attach the last log.

Attachments

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The combination of works OK via applet + those memory stats makes it sound highly likely to be an issue with the way you launch the game. Are you using the .exe to run?

You could try to launch from a command prompt with something like: java -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -jar libs/Terasology.jar

You're looking for a way to get the memory max allocated higher. Make sure you're running a 64-bit Java too, helps :)

The separate launcher can also make setting Java arguments easier.

Charlie

Thanks! The command line worked. I was going to switch to 64-bit Java but my browsers dont support it.
Now though, sometimes blocks dont disappear when i mine them. I have to restart the world for them to be gone. Should i start i different post?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Huh! That's very weird. We can check on it here real quick to sort out if it is a bug we need to hunt down or some other issue.

Can you detail the world setup you use, the exact steps that'll provoke the issue (if it is easily reproducible) including what kind of block(s) affected, and a game log for a world it happens in? Maybe also exit the world, reload, see the blocks, and get us that game log file too.

Charlie

While trying to do as you ask, i cant get it to run again. I was playing the Throughout the Ages module. I havent updated anything on my computer since, but now when i load it never gets above 7fps. Then it freezes again. I have it set to minimal settings. I noticed in the Command Prompt window theres alot of warnings. I think this is the log file with the blocks not disappearing. Not sure since i cant get it to run long enough to make it happen again.

Attachments

Charlie

Update. I started a new game of Throughout the Ages and its running fine right now. not sure whats going on. But i loaded and hasent gone below 25fps. Last game as far as I got was making the tables, This one im past that into mining.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hmm there are a few interesting things in that log file.
  • The out of memory issue. By chance did you crash during the world that also encountered missing blocks? Possibly running out of memory left some minor corruption in the world save. Happened more than once too, at one point it occurred during chunk updating yet another save happened after.
  • There are a couple missing IDs mentioned during loading. Could relate to said corruption, or be something else. I haven't noticed them before but haven't been looking (1)
  • You've got some graphical issues logged - it is possible something minor in your video card / graphics driver isn't getting along with the game. It is a bit of a long shot but it's possible that could impact the rendering of some blocks. Do you recall exactly which types of blocks gave you trouble? (2)
  • There are some missing resources getting logged, I thought we had fixed all those for TTA. Maybe some remain or the release build went out with older copies of modules. This again could perhaps lead to invisible stuff, although it doesn't seem likely it'll relate. (3)
  • It looks like you hit an issue with chunk updating at one point, maybe also with the game auto-save. There's a note about a failure to rename a folder. Aggressive virus scanner enabled by chance? @Florian might be interested in seeing that save issue still occurring it was an issue a while back. (4)
It definitely looks like memory issues could be a primary suspect. Keep an eye on the F3 debug info to make sure you've run the game with good memory settings (or just use the Launcher). And we should get another release out soon that'll resolve some of the known issues from last release.

Log snippet for #1:

Code:
08:08:07.018 [main] ERROR o.t.w.b.internal.BlockManagerImpl - Missing id for block WoodAndStone:FinePlank:StructuralResources:Pillar in provided family WoodAndStone:FinePlank:StructuralResources:Pillar
Log snippet for #2

Code:
08:08:08.447 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.l.InitialiseWorld - World seed: "gXP9Y7zFxEuWRDFtCYZm8BsBbEnvP71O"
08:08:08.508 [main] ERROR org.terasology.rendering.opengl.FBO - FrameBuffer: sceneOpaque, has caused a GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT_EXT exception
08:08:08.508 [main] ERROR o.t.r.opengl.LwjglRenderingProcess - FBO sceneOpaque is incomplete. Look earlier in the log for details.
08:08:08.509 [main] ERROR org.terasology.rendering.opengl.FBO - FrameBuffer: sceneOpaquePingPong, has caused a GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT_EXT exception
08:08:08.510 [main] ERROR o.t.r.opengl.LwjglRenderingProcess - FBO sceneOpaquePingPong is incomplete. Look earlier in the log for details.
08:08:08.599 [main] INFO  org.terasology.seasons.SeasonSystem - Initializing SeasonSystem - org.terasology.world.time.WorldTimeImpl@a100df 0.40279334783554077 0.40279334783554077
Log snippet for #3:

Code:
08:08:07.596 [main] ERROR o.t.p.t.e.TextureRegionTypeHandler - Failed to resolve texture region 'PlantPack:items.Rice'
08:08:07.597 [main] ERROR o.t.p.t.e.TextureRegionTypeHandler - Failed to resolve texture region 'CopperAndBronze:bronze.CopperShovel'
08:08:07.599 [main] ERROR o.t.p.t.e.TextureRegionTypeHandler - Failed to resolve texture region 'CopperAndBronze:bronze.ChalcopyriteOreCrystal'
Log snippet for #4:

Code:
08:08:16.542 [main] WARN  o.t.w.internal.WorldProviderCoreImpl - Attempted to access unavailable chunk via block at 15, 1745, 130
08:09:08.985 [main] INFO  o.t.r.n.l.m.v.VideoSettingsScreen - Video Settings: {"pixelFormat":24,"windowPosX":379,"windowPosY":235,"windowWidth":1152,"windowHeight":720,"fullscreen":true,"viewDistance":"moderate","flickeringLight":true,"animateGrass":false,"animateWater":false,"fieldOfView":90.0,"cameraBobbing":true,"renderPlacingBox":true,"blurIntensity":0,"reflectiveWater":false,"vignette":true,"motionBlur":true,"ssao":false,"filmGrain":true,"outline":true,"lightShafts":true,"eyeAdaptation":false,"bloom":true,"dynamicShadows":false,"oculusVrSupport":false,"maxTextureAtlasResolution":4096,"maxChunksUsedForShadowMapping":1024,"shadowMapResolution":1024,"normalMapping":false,"parallaxMapping":false,"dynamicShadowsPcfFiltering":false,"cloudShadows":true,"renderNearest":true,"particleEffectLimit":10,"frameLimit":60,"meshLimit":400,"inscattering":true,"localReflections":false,"vSync":false,"clampLighting":false,"fboScale":100,"dumpShaders":false,"screenshotSize":"normal size","screenshotFormat":"jpg","cameraSettings":{"cameraSetting":"normal"},"debug":{"enabled":false,"stage":"opaque_color","firstPersonElementsHidden":false,"hudHidden":false,"wireframe":false,"renderChunkBoundingBoxes":false,"renderSkeletons":false}}
08:09:15.810 [main] INFO  o.t.p.i.ReadWriteStorageManager - Saving - Creating game snapshot
08:09:15.813 [main] INFO  o.t.p.i.ReadWriteStorageManager - Saving - Snapshot created: Writing phase starts
08:09:17.834 [Saving-0] INFO  o.t.p.internal.SaveTransaction - Save game finished
08:09:20.068 [Chunk-Updater-5] ERROR o.t.u.concurrency.TaskProcessor - Error in thread Chunk-Updater-5
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
   at org.terasology.world.chunks.internal.ChunkImpl.getSunlight(ChunkImpl.java:206) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.world.chunks.internal.ChunkImpl.getSunlight(ChunkImpl.java:201) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.world.internal.ChunkViewCoreImpl.getSunlight(ChunkViewCoreImpl.java:141) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.world.internal.ChunkViewCoreImpl.getSunlight(ChunkViewCoreImpl.java:116) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.primitives.ChunkTessellator.calcLightingValuesForVertexPos(ChunkTessellator.java:179) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.primitives.ChunkTessellator.generateOptimizedBuffers(ChunkTessellator.java:116) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.primitives.ChunkTessellator.generateMesh(ChunkTessellator.java:69) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.world.ChunkMeshUpdateManager$ChunkUpdateTask.run(ChunkMeshUpdateManager.java:169) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.utilities.concurrency.TaskProcessor.run(TaskProcessor.java:50) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_51]
   at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_51]
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_51]
08:09:20.160 [Chunk-Updater-4] ERROR o.t.u.concurrency.TaskProcessor - Error in thread Chunk-Updater-4
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
   at org.terasology.world.chunks.internal.ChunkImpl.getSunlight(ChunkImpl.java:206) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.world.chunks.internal.ChunkImpl.getSunlight(ChunkImpl.java:201) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.world.internal.ChunkViewCoreImpl.getSunlight(ChunkViewCoreImpl.java:141) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.world.internal.ChunkViewCoreImpl.getSunlight(ChunkViewCoreImpl.java:116) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.primitives.ChunkTessellator.calcLightingValuesForVertexPos(ChunkTessellator.java:184) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.primitives.ChunkTessellator.generateOptimizedBuffers(ChunkTessellator.java:116) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.primitives.ChunkTessellator.generateMesh(ChunkTessellator.java:69) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.rendering.world.ChunkMeshUpdateManager$ChunkUpdateTask.run(ChunkMeshUpdateManager.java:169) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at org.terasology.utilities.concurrency.TaskProcessor.run(TaskProcessor.java:50) ~[engine-0.54.0.jar:56, master, 56, pre-alpha]
   at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_51]
   at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_51]
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_51]
08:09:20.175 [main] INFO  o.t.p.i.ReadWriteStorageManager - Saving - Creating game snapshot
08:09:20.177 [main] INFO  o.t.p.i.ReadWriteStorageManager - Saving - Snapshot created: Writing phase starts
08:09:20.177 [main] INFO  o.t.n.internal.NetworkSystemImpl - Client disconnected: Pentair
08:09:20.178 [main] INFO  o.t.logic.console.ConsoleImpl - [NOTIFICATION] Player "Pentair" has left the game
08:09:20.183 [main] INFO  o.t.n.internal.NetworkSystemImpl - Network shutdown
08:09:21.792 [Saving-0] WARN  o.t.p.internal.SaveTransaction - Rename of merge folder failed, retrying in one second
08:09:22.819 [Saving-0] INFO  o.t.p.internal.SaveTransaction - Save game finished
08:09:22.820 [main] WARN  org.reflections.Reflections - given scan urls are empty. set urls in the configuration
08:09:28.238 [main] WARN  org.reflections.Reflections - given scan urls are empty. set urls in the configuration
08:09:28.243 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: engine:0.54.0

Charlie

The blocks that were not disappearing were the leaves of a tree i was on top of trying to get branches, and baskets that i made instead of tables. When i tried to remove them and put the tables down, they stayed baskets.

The new game ran fine for a while. But after a while the memory maxed out again at 989.88MB.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Were all the quirks still solely in a world that had hit memory issues? Definitely all kinds of havoc can happen in that case.

It is okay for memory to push to the max at 1 GB in normal gameplay, that should be sufficient to stay healthy at typical settings. Pushing the view distance might change that.

You can launch with more than 1 GB memory easily, just tweak the launch parameters, such as:

Code:
java -Xms128m -Xmx2048m -jar libs/Terasology.jar
Or just use the launcher and it has the options in a drop-down :)

Do note that you'll need a 64-bit Java for that, 32-bit will start going weird if you get close to the 2GB process limit (should be okay at 1536). You can have both 32-bit and 64-bit Javas installed at the same time.

Charlie

yeah the problems were with the world that crashed. The new world doesnt have any issues. I havent had time to play much but ill try to install 64-bit java and see. thanks for all the help.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Good to know and happy to help. Will mark this as resolved then :)