Resolved Game Fire

metouto

Contributor
Art
I have a computer that is not a gaming computer so when doing the fancier settings for TS my computer says ....... no way to me ...... so as I was surfing today I ran across this ....

http://www.smartpcutilities.com/gamefire.html

..... what do you (more wise in computers than me) think ???? Would it help a person playing TS on a non-gaming computer to have this running on his/her computer (I have not downloaded it or played around with it as yet. I was waiting for your wisdom) ???

BTW ---- we might want a section in the forum for non TS stuff ;) I flat out did not know where to post this and if I post in the wrong place Cervator has to move it :D

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Clear answer: No, it won't. And that's my opinion on every tuning software that popped up in recent years. But to be honest... I've never seen something that claims to accelerate your games.

Keep your computer clean, install the latest GPU drivers, chipset drivers and Windows Service Packs and that will be all you can actually do without thinking about upgrading your system. If you've got low FPS in Terasology, no tool will ever help you to make it suddenly run at much higher FPS. Sadly. That problem is connected to your GPU, vRAM, CPU, I/O and the amount of RAM you've got available.

But on there other side... We've got lot of room for improvement in Terasology's code base. So don't lose hope! ;)

metouto

Contributor
Art
OK .... wisdom guru answer noted and followed :cool: But let's say I am a noobe at computer stuff and I want to install the latest GPU drivers, chipset drivers and Windows Service Packs (think I know this one but still good to see the answer) how would one go about updates???

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I suppose you mean upgrades, not updates. Well it all depends on what system you start from. Portables and the like usually don't lend them self to be upgradable all that much, although if you want to keep the portable and give it some more performance, a docking bay could be a (usually costy) solution. I myself once bought the asus m2n32 motherboard 'and still use it), it promised to be future ready, and while that is partially true, through bios upgrades etc I was able to upgrade my cpu to some decent enough power, you lose some of it's performance due to your chipset not exploiting all it's capabilities. Upgrading requires a bit of research from your side, some patience to figure out what components could work well together, and some cash to invest in those. But ultimatly, regardless of your best effort, actually buying a new Motherboard + cpu and matching ram will always deliver better performance. Amd recently released an apu : the A8 series. While it lacks raw processing power, it performs quite decent gpu wise due to it's integrated architecture. If I were to invest money in a new system, I'd go for something along those lines most likely although for cpu intensive games like minecraft (and Terasology I guess) it would be better to invest in the cpu with the most raw processing power, which is still the Intel Corei7 as far as i know (i ain't an expert either, I just happened to have looked into it myself recently). In the end, I always try to find a good value / performance combo, and usually amd is the better solution there. If budget is no issue, or you just really want to invest in the most power you can find, it can easily cost you 2 or 3 times as much, but won't result in having 2 times as much power, if you get a 25% increase you'll already be lucky.

One last note, as the amd apu architecture uses the same memory pool as the cpu, you might want to invest a bit more money in ram and immediately go for 8 gig for example. I believe that was the setup of the system they used in the review I read about it.

Note 2 : seems my beloved Asus suffered quite a reputation loss in the last years, will probably be the last Asus MB I'll trust. Even the store I usually buy my equipment from doesn't list asus anymore for the last fm1 based MB's