Archived Game Modes (config)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Name: Game Mode Config
Summary: How do you select and possibly later tweak what makes up a game mode (or "world options")
Scope: Engine
Current Goal: Enhance Start Playing / Create World GUI pieces with more world options (like the flat world option)
Phase: Inception
Curator:
Related: Modding Arc (in particular since core content is also structured like mods)

This is meant to be more about how you select and configure a game mode than about making a game mode work. I figure rather than necessarily have "Free Style", "Zombie Survivor", "Untrue Tao", etc we could provide a setting for each substantial piece of content with alternatives:

• Inventory - infinite / normal (MCish) / limited (vastly less space, weight impact) / hard core (two hands + whatever slots you gain from equipment)
  • Item Browser - on / off
  • "Monsters" - none / passive / normal / aggressive
  • Death - no loss / drop items / more severe / permadeath
  • World type - normal / flat
And so on. Any mod that introduces new functionality or enhances something (imagine the more realistic / restrained model some of us want) can add to existing options (enable "fancy inventory") or add new ones and "game modes" are just templates you can start with. Want Zombie Survivor with passive zombies? Okay, your choice. Want Freestyle with aggressive monsters, infinite blocks, but no item browser so you must craft the first of everything? Sure, why not.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Do what NowNewStart? I think, similar to the recent block entity discussion, we really need to spend a bit of time working out what exactly the requirements are for this and what use cases need to be covered before implementing something.

I'm not keen on the bucket of options approach. That is mostly covered by module selection at the moment, if that is all that is desired.

I'm considering game modes in the much more diverse range, like the difference between a first person shooter and a racing game. In that respect the above mentioned options sound more like configuration for a single game mode with some mods thrown in.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Not to mention this thread was started nearly a year ago. A lot has changed since. Game modes have been discussed on and off since, especially lately, and are indeed now more like different game types while the first post here was back when those tiny options were all we had to tinker with :D

Yeah, now those would just be toggles inside a game mode. Discussion has moved elsewhere although it really should have its own thread like this. I think we'll soon be in a much happier place after fleshing out how to start a round of L&S