Games in our "sphere of interest"

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Rather than make individual discussion threads for all these right away I figured a central thread makes more sense until we have enough purpose for a dedicated thread for something. Minecraft naturally can get a thread but somebody else can start that sometime :)

There's an excellent list of block engines on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/wiki/block_engines

I've got a pile of additional comments to get in here, but :sleep:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep, I almost consider Love an oldie at this point. Nice video too, hadn't seen those elements before - yet that one is years old, sheesh :)

The Proteus game you mentioned on IRC seems somewhat similar stylistically

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Here's another interesting voxel world Kickstarter, naturally with 200k already pledged (of 250k): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247991467/planets3

Very cool looking concept art, matches our earlier talk about cubic planets. Some mighty cool promises too, yet all there's to show is concept art with a supposed completion in October 2015, a nice timeline for a fairly sizable team. Well, there's a basic voxel engine too. I hope they can pull it off but that's a long time in the future to wait!

Mainly I thought it was cool for this image in particular :)

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Planet3 looks really neat.

Just stumbled upon Starmade while going on a shopping spree on Steam.

I had been thinking how the efficiency of voxel worlds could be made to serve the construction of massive spaceships, inclusive of combat capabilities and human crew scrambling around to help the fight or repair the ship as it collects damage. Well, looks like Starmade is going exactly in that direction. I'm curious to see how they will tie and balance everything with the resource-gathering/economic system.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Has anyone downloaded "Seed of Andromeda" yet ?

When I download it and the download was finished I got this ......

SoA.zip is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous.

Anyone with an idea ......... is it dangerois ???

Last edited:

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
It probably just means that SoA is not yet on the radar screen of AntiVirus companies. Make sure to scan it with your AntiVirus after it's downloaded and before you open it, but I doubt it's actually harmful. Unless one of SoA's team infected it with a virus by mistake.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah that sounds like a common warning something like Symantec issues when it scans a rare file. Like mostly everything indie :D

I've actually encountered the same with our game zip on a different computer (my AV at home is less noisy)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Aaaand another one popped up: Medieval Engineers. It's from the same studio as Space Engineers and uses the same Engine (VRange). The main features seem to be destructible voxel structures such as towers, walls, bridges, etc.

One can see in some of the videos that the computation is obviously heavy for large structures, but they somehow manage to get some nice towers crumbling down on the screen - even with shattering building blocks ;) In one video the debug mode is shown where you can see that the physics computation is limited to man-made objects, and that the structures such as pillars are represented by bigger physical units. Maybe we can just keep that in mind.... - @synopia didn't you play around with some basic block stability physics?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Very cool :)

I like the siege mechanics, that's what I want for L&S :D

@Marcin Sciesinski had put in some block support work for TTA, but we're probably a ways from siege engines still.

Also, for some reason the first thing I thought up seeing that video was the Voxel Farm engine. I guess there's lots of company in that space!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
And while I'm at it I've had a note to look at Trove sometime, but I'll probably never get around to it - maybe somebody else will?