Hello everyone.

Brokenshakles

Contributor
Name: Brokenshakles
Place of Origin: Texas
Interests: Game Design, computer programming.
Education: I am completing an Associate of Mathematics degree at San Jacinto College
Found Via: Searching for open source minecraft clones on google.

I am interested helping with the design of the tech tree/item database for Terasology. I want to build an experience similar to the DF tech tree, but with better names, and less obfuscation. I am also interested in UI design, and would like to sketch up some ideas for a better interface. I would pull ideas from Minecraft, Gnomoria, and other clones. Not DF however, the maze of hotkeys is a terrible interface. Honestly, I think it is safe to assume everyone can afford a mouse in this day and age.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome, happy to have you on board, and thrilled to see some potential to get the exact area you mention developed more :)

There are a few threads around for crafting and interface stuff - we've had some initial discussion on UI setup, blueprints, and fun stuff like that, but no solid design yet for how to actually organize what is available item-wise in-game. As far as discovery goes I like how the Guide works in Terraria (show him an item and he'll show you a list of valid recipes) - I could see something similar work in Terasology by befriending creatures of various races that then know of a set of uses for a collection of items you can figure out with their help, climbing the tech tree along the way

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Guild War 2's system is another interesting one, with its guided discovery.

Brokenshakles

Contributor
Guild Wars 2, Terraria, never played these, I will have to check them out. I am a current EVE player though, and I think they have some interesting Ideas about crafting and interfaces as well. I would like to mention that I am a dedicated 64bit linux desktop user, and you would not believe the range of stuff I have working on WINE these days.

EDIT: How many posts does it take to graduate from "New Member" to "Member"?

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Guild Wars 2, Terraria, never played these, I will have to check them out. I am a current EVE player though, and I think they have some interesting Ideas about crafting and interfaces as well. I would like to mention that I am a dedicated 64bit linux desktop user, and you would not believe the range of stuff I have working on WINE these days.

EDIT: How many posts does it take to graduate from "New Member" to "Member"?