Contributor Hello, I'm readv

readv

Contributor
  • Name: readv
  • Social: IRC - readv, Github - readv
  • Skills / Tools: OpenGL, GLSL, SDL, C/C++, Java, 3D Game Engine development, Physics simulation, Blender
  • Found via: Google Summer of Code
  • Interests: Shaderland Refactoring. For a long time I've been interested in game engine development and especially rendering. I've been working on a 3D game engine for about 2 years, and gained a lot of experience on how (not) to do a lot of things. I am interested in learning all about Terasology's rendering pipeline, and would love to base my work around it.

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Hi readv, welcome aboard.

I am the curator of the 3D rendering portion of the codebase and I've been slowly working on it over the past three years. I mentored a rendering-related project during GSOC 2016 and during GSOC 2017 I effectively mentored another, even though it was not an official GSOC project. The student of GSOC 2017, @vampcat, is still around and is my main collaborator on all things rendering.

I'm glad you are interested in our area and in the Shaderland Refactoring project. I look forward reviewing your proposal.

Meanwhile, feel free to ask questions and contribute to the project even in small ways: setting up the project from source and submitting a small PR are excellent first steps and give you an edge on other students who might not bother showing us they can work with us.

You can contact me here on the forum or, if pre-arranged, via our IRC channel.

Again, welcome aboard.

vampcat

Bug Hunter Extraordinaire
Contributor
Hey! :D

As manu mentioned, get started with some contributions. Play around a little, admire some of the amazing graphical effects we have (water with and without waves, the shadows and the ambient occlusion, the clouds, the skysphere and other interesting stuff), dive into some code (not necessarily rendering code - get a local workspace setup, fix a small bug or two, try working on something fun.. it's upto you) and interact with the community :D

As mentioned earlier, don't hesitate to reach out for help (on any topic, not just rendering) via forum/irc/discord :)

readv

Contributor
That's great to hear!
I sure will be appearing on IRC, although I've got a few exams coming this week.
I've already set up a workspace and investigated the rendering code for a bit. I really like the modularity of the rendering process, can't wait to take a closer look at all of it! Oh and of course, vampcat, those effects are beautiful :)
Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome, I'll try to contibute soon!

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
@readv: just a reminder that there isn't much time left to submit a draft proposal for GSOC and get feedback about it. Of course you can skip the feedback step and just submit a final proposal but it probably wouldn't be wise.