Intro Hey I'm Darragh

Darragh

• Name: _Darragh Clarke_
  • Social: _https://github.com/DarraghClarke , my git would be where i would be post any coding stuff _
  • From: _I'm from North-Western Éire (ireland) a area called County Donegal_
  • Skills / Tools: I am Studying Com Sci in Uni , I have Decent Java skills (currently working on a course project to recreate cluedo(or clue as americans call it) in java_
  • Found via: _GSOC_
  • Interests: _I was an avid Minecraft player for many years and i'm interested in taking some of my fond memories from those years and expanding the game mechanics in Terasology to broaden the user experience_
  • Extra: _Thats all for now , excited to dive into some code though_

Link to my proposal here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uV1mgRVPLV8cEaotEFOvawpQqX0TNW0idPjlWCruRDM/edit?usp=sharing

All feedback greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi @Darragh and welcome!

Knowing some Java is definitely a benefit when coming to the project. I've seen you've forked the project an GitHub already, so I suppose you also managed to run it from source? To get started, you can scan through our issues on GitHub to find something small to get your hands on for warming up. All issues marked as "Good First Issue" are worth looking at, but you could also grap up anything else ;)

To further help you with GSOC we need to know more about your interest. What parts of the game are you especially interested in (rendering, gameplay, logic, word gen/simulation, …)? Do you already have a projetc idea (a game mode, a collection of mods, something that is missing in the game, …)? You can find ideas on for projects on our GSOC wiki page.

Darragh

Hi @Darragh and welcome!

Knowing some Java is definitely a benefit when coming to the project. I've seen you've forked the project an GitHub already, so I suppose you also managed to run it from source? To get started, you can scan through our issues on GitHub to find something small to get your hands on for warming up. All issues marked as "Good First Issue" are worth looking at, but you could also grap up anything else ;)

To further help you with GSOC we need to know more about your interest. What parts of the game are you especially interested in (rendering, gameplay, logic, word gen/simulation, …)? Do you already have a projetc idea (a game mode, a collection of mods, something that is missing in the game, …)? You can find ideas on for projects on our GSOC wiki page.

Thanks for the reply @Skaldarnar , I'm interested chiefly in gameplay, I want to expand gooey's quest and make a larger RPG mode for the game, where the player fights through dungeons and gets rewarded with gear and in game money , and then uses that money to build a town that they can fill up with traders , Its fairly ambitious but from looking through existing modules , the groundwork seems to exist for a lot of what i wanna do , i would love feedback on this idea though

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Indeed, there is a base of modules you could build on. What you said sounds like it would be a combination of the current Gooeys Quest and more economy/simulation-centric modules such as Dynamic Cities. However, you should be aware that our current combat system is quite limited, and that the simulation aspect of dynamic cities is more a proof-of-concept than a full-fledged economical system.

In addition to that, you should have a look at the idea in a lower level: what is need to talk to NPCs (a way to show dialogs, the NPC being the world, ...), how does the game keep track of the economy, etc.

If you haven't done this already, you should start working on a proposal by now. Using a GoogleDoc which you can share with mentors and other students to get feedback directly on the text is a good idea. You can find some hints on how to write a good proposal in our latest news update.

Darragh

Yes i have a rough document created currently that describes my plans ( though i need to include more specific references to modules i intend to use and how i intend to code through things). I will also look into moving focus away from combat and maybe look into logic puzzles or jumping puzzles when i want to give the user challenges.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uV1mgRVPLV8cEaotEFOvawpQqX0TNW0idPjlWCruRDM

any and all feedback would be much appreciated on it

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
@Darragh thanks for sharing the document. It is in read-only mode, though, so we cannot make comments and annotations. You probably want to change so that we can give you better feedback on the proposal ;)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Wohoo, you've got it :D I'll have a look when I find some time ;)

You may want to update the first post in this thread with a link to the document so that one can easily find it :)

Darragh

I have updated my proposal hopefully improving it a bit on the previous draft , the link in the first post should allow anyone to see it

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya :)

Just happened to notice your update just now so I took a look. You have an overall issue which seems common that you're merging together the goal overview and the timeline, leading to very "meaty" paragraphs when the timeline is meant to be very structured, while there isn't an obvious place to read about an overall system like how you intend for buildings to be spawned in and worked with.

I'd recommend splitting out those two sections so you lead with a goal overview including technical details on each system (you essentially listed three goals after the timeline so those could make for good high level goals), then provide a simple bulleted list or table for when each part will be implemented.

That will also make it hugely easier to review and provide feedback/estimates on the proposal overall. That is fairly difficult at the moment and I'm sure there's more feedback that can be given, but with the proposal needing a bit of a restructuring first that should probably be finished before further review :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hej @Darragh, please have a look at the comments on your proposal.

I can only agree to @Cervator that the document needs more structure and better formatting. It's hard to keep track of the main goals you are talking about. In addition, I think you should work on your timeline a bit more. For each week, try to write down what you want to achieve and what needs to be done each day in order to get there.
Furthermore, some items seem to a be a bit of a stretch for GSOC. Although having more rooms and buildings might help the gameplay module, it is not necessarily in the scope of a coding project.