Contributor Hi, I'm Ar0ne!

Serj

Contributor
  • Name: Siarhei Ar[]ne
  • Social / Github: ar0ne
  • Skills / Tools: Java, Python, JS, etc.
  • Found via: GSoC
  • Interests: GameDev, and recently rock climbing, lol:D
  • Extra: Currenly I'm looking at Issue #1487. I think this project has a huge space to work on.
I introduced myself last year, but decided to do it again now. Also I've written a draft proposal (will proceed updating it). So, If you have a chance, I'll be glad to hear any comments on it. Currently I'm trying to add more tasks to it and close more issues from backlog.

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey again :)

Good to see you back. Feel free to just bump an older intro thread, I actually had your old one linked and just realized you posted a new one. No problem tho!

Your chosen issue does indeed have a lot of space to work in. It is a pretty poorly defined idea from our side and probably tricky to write a really focused proposal for as well, but I'm glad you're giving it a shot. Last year I remember some discussion came up (somewhere in the forum?) about how it could involve a new "Detail" screen for individual modules and save games, although the current game listing screen might have enough space to fit another info pane much like the "Select Modules..." screen does.

At that point you would have more UI space to have screenshots, as well as some more details about a module, such as a logo, associated screenshots, stats on what's in the module and so on. And if we can introduce a standard for modules to declare meta-assets about themselves then that'll also be something we can use later for a module listing site, which would be great.

For the proposal I suggest aiming for three overarching code-centric topics that would estimate out at roughly one month each. That shouldn't include stuff like coming up with screenshots or logos, only how to standardize and display them. So maybe something like:
  • Make a new module details UI screen you can access from the "Select Modules..." screen by clicking a button with a module active. Come up with a standard for including logos and screenshots in a module repo, make a few examples, and load their assets on to the module details screen (possible stretch goal: improve the way dependencies are listed / expand the available details about them like adding navigation to them, details on what version is detected locally, etc)
  • Make a new info pane on the "Select Game" screen like the current setup on "Select Modules" and put information about the selected save game on that new info pane. Improve the screenshot-taking process to associate a screenshot with the save game that produced it, so you can add a listing of screenshots as well. This may need a new UI widget for a screenshot thumbnail list that could be scrolled and open a screenshot full size or on disk. May want to do that first if needed for the module screen
  • Improve scanning of assets in a module further to show some details about what's in the module? Or possibly make the screenshot functionality its own month-long sub-project and run that first, then consider modules and saves later
Issue 2074 is somewhat related, but moreso for world previewing and the creation process of a new game, which is probably out of scope for the item as originally written (and somewhat in-scope / covered by the multi-world idea)

See if you can find some related discussion from last year and better flesh out the three top level targets to go for. You might also want to make the timeline work in one-week increments.

Serj

Contributor
Heya Cervator :p
Thanks for your feedback!!! It was really useful, and after much thought I redid my proposal. I have a hope that now it is better...
I'd appreciate any suggestions / comments to my topic. Thanks in advance!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Moar feedback!

First of, just a general comment I've also given to other students: your writing style is somewhat conversational, which is a better fit for a lecture in a auditorium in front of students than in a written proposal like this. For instance: "Personally speaking, we also really need a new `GameDetails` screen" - well, you aren't personally speaking, you're writing a proposal :D It could simply be "I'm proposing a new 'GameDetails' screen for benefits a, b, and c"

This is a somewhat subjective call, but I find that organizing yourself in standalone objective sections without any conversational fluff leads to a better reading experience. Not that I'm advocating formality, I like the occasional joke or two as well, even snarky comments! But those have other pitfalls and can be tricky to pull off well. Don't feel obligated to add any in ;)

Very nice UI mockups, those are hugely helpful and a nice touch!

I left some line comments in the proposal, but I'd like to congratulate you for probably the most impressive proposal turnaround I've ever seen. The first draft was a kitchen sink proposal for an admittedly kitchen sink item, but now you have something very solid and very useful sounding. Very good work!