Contributor Hi!

korp

Contributor
  • Name: Yui Wei / korp
  • Social: github and twitter
  • From: Singapore, currently studying Computer Science in NUS
  • Skills / Tools: Java, C++, Python, Javascript. My main interest and knowledge is in computer graphics/modelling/animation.
  • Found via: GSOC Organisations :D
  • Interests: The ideas I'm interested in are - improved particle systems, anatomy systems, and porting the advanced organic growth simulator from Python. In particular, I would really love to work on the anatomy system issue as I think it adds a lot of value to the gameplay (and it sounds really fun).
    I'm actually interested in the graphics rendering stuff like new rendering approach for very far distances as well, but I probably would need some assistance and I don't know if I'd be able to contribute meaningfully yet.
  • Extra: I think I'm a bit late to the gsoc party, right..? I've been too busy with assignments from school, but I'll finally have some time today and this weekend, kinda. I'll be getting started with the hands-on stuff listed on the GSOC page and the advice for new contributors tonight, so I thought I'd say hi first. :D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @korp ! Welcome :)

You're not quite late yet as the student proposal phase doesn't start until Monday, although there isn't quite as much time to get up to speed. Plenty possible though! The odds for landing a slot are somewhat low however due to surprising interest here (maybe from being the only game dev org) and from us being a first year org so we'll only get one or two slots :(

More details over at: http://forum.terasology.org/threads/gsoc-2016-were-in-and-need-more-official-mentors-now.1452/

We're happy to help people learn whether or not you land a GSOC slot if you're interested :)

Christiaan_V

Hello, fellow GSoC applicant here. I don't think you are late to the party either. If anything I think the people who are late are actually better applicants because they are focused on their main goal at the moment (studying) and will be the same if selected. I wish I was a bit more late to show EXTREME DEDICATION but o'well. Anyway goodluck

korp

Contributor
Hi @Cervator and everyone :) Thanks for the luck, @Christiaan_V haha I'm glad you see it as EXTREME DEDICATION and not EXTREMEly poor time management.

Anyway, it's okay if I can't get a GSOC slot! I'm really keen on contributing to this project especially the areas I mentioned they sound really exciting! I'm just done setting up, now finding my way around the codebase. Hoping to get my feet wet with bug fixes soon! This is my first time trying out open source work so please excuse me if I sound a little over-excited.
Are discussions mostly held on IRC? I suppose I'll have to learn how to use that too..

Christiaan_V

I also haven't contributed to open source software but I have worked with a lot though and I believe it won't be to much different than "normal" coding, just a couple things we have to learn from scratch. I see you want to work on the Python organic growth system. I was also interested in it and if you want to we can do it together and help each other find our feet. I would not mind if you'd prefer to work on something else that you'd find more beneficial.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
@korp IRC can be quite lively with discussion such as right now, other times it can be quiet for a while in which case leaving a message in the forum or even on Slack could work better :)

And great to hear and see your eagerness, GSOC or not! While two students cannot collaborate officially on an approved proposal and both share the stipend I don't think there's a problem just getting extra help. And since we're likely only getting one or two slots (maybe three if really lucky) there'll be plenty of items left to just work on at whatever pace while collaborating to your heart's content :)

korp

Contributor
@Christiaan_V That's really nice of you and I definitely wouldn't mind working on it together :) I'd love to be wrong but I don't think I'm even in the competition for the GSOC slots for this project haha :p

@Cervator Lucky for me I already use Slack! How do I join the Slack group?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
@korp ask and ye shall receive! Invite sent to your forum email address :)