Inactive Hide water edges with foam effects?

Linus

Contributor
I was searching for examples of celshaded graphics when I came across this gif:

I noticed that the water makes a sharp 90 turn, which reminded me of how water is currently rendered in Terasology (with cubes). In Zelda: the Wind Waker, the game shown on the animation, they use these simple foam effects to hide otherwise unnatural looking water edges.
The foam is used flowing water (like above) and water without flow (picture below).

I'm wondering if a similar effect could be used in Terasology. Would this fit with the style of Terasology? Would it be costly to detect these edges while rendering?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Aw man, that would be sweet :D

I just badgered begla about the current water block sides, maybe an animated vertical water flow could both solve that and allow waterfalls!

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Foam is actually something wich should be quite doable with all the stuff I've added recently. It's on my list! :)

I'm currently fading out (ocean) water which hits the shores of the world by using a simple depth test between the water surface and the blocks beneath it. That could be a nice place for a foam effect to kick in.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey begla, might be this thread fits best :)
I dton't know if you are aware of this article, but it covers some aspects of water rendering in Assasin's Creed III. They give some explanation on foam/waves, LOD features and so on...

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Created issue 504 to go with this thread since it sounds like we can implement it some time, though probably as a lower priority item :)