Request I can haz mesh normals?

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
I have this mesh of a question mark that I'd like to use. It was created from the Noto Sans font and extruded using Blender. See this image for an illustration. However, it does not have normals. It would be great if someone could add them to the mesh so it is lit properly in the engine.

Grade C: add vertex normals so it will work.
Grade B: duplicate vertices at sharp edges so that they have different vertex normals and the sharp edges are properly lit.
Grade A: bevel the edges

Bonus points if you can briefly outline how to achieve A or B with MeshLab or Blender.

Attachments

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
I should be able to do it, but I just do not have the time at the moment. If you don't find anybody, can you please ping me in a month?

glasz

Contributor
Art
i could only do grade C i'm afraid. The normals where there, just not in the right direction, so i flipped them outside. As for bevel, the way the character was meshisized made it impossible to do it easily, it would be simpler to redo it some other way...

Attachments

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Can you create OBJ files with two polygon groups? One for the bevel faces and one for the others?
That way, we could just render the beveled group with a darker color entirely without textures!

glasz

Contributor
Art
so here's an obj with 2 meshes, one for the main faces, another for the bevel faces

Attachments

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Thank you @glasz, I think that brought be on the right track. I'm working on support for sub-group rendering now to get the new meshes in the game!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Looks fine to me :) Is the code behind it just scary? It works!

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
The look of the symbols certainly works for me. I'm wondering if it's good to have them rotating though: seeing the question mark from the back is a bit funny. Could they be always facing the player instead? Also, I'd recommend to be able to toggle the bouncing off.