I Retouched GoldOre

metouto

Contributor
Art
I was thinking that gold sometimes comes in veins so I retouched gold to look like this ....

is this something you would be interested in having ???? If not it is OK ... it is my very first try at doing something like this :D

And if it is something you would like to use could you explain how I would get it to you ????

thank you :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's pretty good. It is hard to tell for sure though without seeing it in-game tho - maybe on a full-size block the gold will appear too crowded and need to be thinner and more "streaky" to really approximate veins :geek:

I'm just home on my lunch break so won't be able to check that till this evening

The best way to find out is running with the DevSetup and actually replacing the appropriate texture locally (that's why we split them into singles to make that easy). That'll also leave you with working source control to check new textures in, which is ideal for contributing. We can just pull a posted texture file from a forum thread tho :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Cervator said:
....... maybe on a full-size block the gold will appear too crowded and need to be thinner and more "streaky" to really approximate veins :geek:
after thinking it over I believe you to be correct Carvator ... I will thing the lines out to make it look more "streaky". ;) I wouldn't want a miner to strike it rich on just one block of gold :laugh:

Cervator said:
The best way to find out is running with the DevSetup and actually replacing the appropriate texture locally (that's why we split them into singles to make that easy). That'll also leave you with working source control to check new textures in
is that what RoseOwnage was doing in these posts viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106 :?:

@ RoseOwnage .... it was in the Terasology :arrow: images :arrow: mineral folder :unsure:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
metouto said:
is that what RoseOwnage was doing in these posts viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106 :?:
Yep! There are still a few inaccuracies to fix up on the DevSetup page, any additional feedback is appreciated on making it easier to understand and follow :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
I fought :? .... I pulled hair out :? .... I remembered language from my childhood :? ...... but I got everything done on DevSetup page down to "Starting up intelliJ" .... :shock: boy that was a learning experance I have NEVER went through before :shock:

Now my problem is this when I try to start intelliJ ....

now don't get in a hurry to giving me an answer to this problem ... I know you have much more pressing things on you "want to get done" list for this weekend .... :cool:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nicely done so far - progress! :D

IntelliJ can't find your installation of Git - this might be because when you installed Git you didn't pick the option that added its executable to your system path?

You can test that by running the following in a Windows command prompt:

echo %PATH%

It might look something like this - I've bolded the important part you might be missing:

C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files (x86)\Groovy\Groovy-1.8.2\bin;

If you don't have Git on there you can add it as an environment variable - on Windows 7 you'd do that by right clicking My Computer and selecting Properties, then "Advanced System Settings" in the left side or alternatively go through the Control Panel to System. Ultimately you should have a window with a few tabs in it including an "Advanced" tab with an "Environment Variables" button near the bottom. In that window find "Path" under "System Variables", click "Edit", and add the path to Git on your system to the end of the value (be sure to put a semi-colon at the end of the existing text if it doesn't have one already)

I think that's the issue, not sure if IntelliJ has its own options screen to find Git with, I don't see one with a quick check

metouto

Contributor
Art
Well, I worked on this a little tonight with little success :roll:

I am using vista on my lop top and I have windows 7 on my desktop :unsure:

The IntelliJ folder / Git folder are on my portable disk which I can use with either computer .... :)

what I put in the path file was ..... F:\Program Files (x86)\Git; (this did not work) :( I tried F:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin; (this did not work) :eek: C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\Git; (again this did not work) :shock:

Well, enough for tonight will try again tomorrow :roll:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heh, I'm afraid that involving that portable drive in any form or way is going to be a complete nightmare for most kinds of development :)

You really really really want the two systems to be set up completely independently, able to run with only what's on the box and no dependency on an external drive that may or not be there or have been modified elsewhere. The thing is - source control in particular doesn't like surprises, and likes knowing exactly what is going on. Moving things around or possibly letting them be modified elsewhere (on a different box via portable drive) tends to cause all kinds of problems.

My strong recommendation is to install all the software separately on the two machines (or just one to begin with until you get everything working), and make sure no references remain on either machine to locations on the portable drive. The one thing that can tie them together is GitHub - both machines are set up separately, but point to the same remote repo and use the same SSH keys (after you go through the SSH steps on one machine you copy them to the other machine - that way you use the same key on both machines)

But even that would be a pain vs. simply just using one machine. Each time you switch machine you'd need to pull the latest from your remote repo first and get ready on the other machine. It sounds tempting to keep something on the portable drive, but while that might be possible it would be very tricky, especially if you're unfamiliar with the concepts :)

The Git dir on the PATH likely has to be the CMD directory like in my example above. And again, the PATH is specific to each machine, so if you moved from one to the other it might not work the same.

metouto

Contributor
Art
OK Cervator :D .... you have convinced me ..... I will put everything on my laptop (I can use the experience of setting these things up :roll: ) and the one thing I do NOT want to do is make thing any harder for myself than they have to be ....

Thanks for telling me this because I might have just given up the whole thing if I could not make it work but at least this way I know that it has worked for others and will work for me .... :)

after you go through the SSH steps on one machine you copy them to the other machine - that way you use the same key on both machines
Would you suggest that when I put them on my laptop that I begin anew or can I bring the files from my portable drive to the laptop and use the same keys that are already set up?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The SSH key files are safe to re-use :)

That's the one thing you want to always have the same, so you should be good there.

Just copy them from wherever the Git Bash shell put them and make sure they go where they're expected on the target system. When I set up my laptop I went a few steps into the SSH setup so the target SSH path would be created, then copied my existing files from another box on to there

This is not easy stuff, so nice going getting so far! And g'night, past 1 am and I'm sleepy :D