Archived I'm back... with 3D and music

Hello, Terasology. I've been inactive on the forums for a while:sleep:, but now I've made a 3D model in blender and music in the Windows 8 app called Music Maker Jam. I'll send the .blend file for the 3D model. In some way I can't upload .mp3 files even if I put them into a .zip :(. The 3D model is called TerasologyGhost and the music is called sky of stars. Please tell what you think of my work. :)

Attachments

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah that's kinda blocky alright :)

Looks a little bit like the Ghast from MC. What sort of texture do you think it would have?

The .mp3 extension wasn't in the attachment allow list but it is now. You might be hitting a file size limit, that's 2 MB per attachment right now. Could use an external file or even music hosting site (like Chrisk who uses soundcloud.com) to share

Yeah that's kinda blocky alright :)

Looks a little bit like the Ghast from MC. What sort of texture do you think it would have?
Well, I think that the texture should be white, but it could also be other colours such as red or blue. And yes, it actually looks a bit like a Ghast. So, could we make a enemy out of this? The nights and caves could really use this at least until we make something much better I think. Well, maybe you already did something much better, but could you imagine this to be in the game for some time? :).

The .mp3 extension wasn't in the attachment allow list but it is now. You might be hitting a file size limit, that's 2 MB per attachment right now. Could use an external file or even music hosting site (like @Chrisk who uses soundcloud.com) to share
The file was a little too big, but now I'm on soundcloud, so here it comes. It's called Sky of stars. It is very short, but I can make a longer version if you want:).

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That piece is not bad - that's pretty nice :)

I'm not sure what sort of setting it would fit in though. It is sort of festive, almost Jazz-like, although that description may be off (I'm hardly a music expert). Maybe it could work in some sort of social setting in a city

I wouldn't mind having that beastie around in-game with a nice texture as you say at least as a placeholder to fill the world. Need it textured and prepared for all that though :)

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
I would put it also somewhere to the Jazz section. Very chilling and fine music. Somewhere in an upper class house this would definately fit fine :D

almost Jazz-like,
I would put it also somewhere to the Jazz section.
Well, in the app there are like different music styles and you choose one to begin making a song, and I did choose jazz. So, should I make it longer? :D

I wouldn't mind having that beastie around in-game with a nice texture as you say at least as a placeholder to fill the world. Need it textured and prepared for all that though
I'm not an expert at textures for the 3D model as that is the second model in blender that I've made like 2-3 days ago, but I figured out how to do that. It could only be one color on a face though even with a picture with more than one color. Here is a golden version of the ghost. What do you think? Is it a too shiny color for a ghost:)? And I've not learned java so I think it's time for me to do that, or well, at least try to. :D

Attachments

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Technically that isn't a mesh, it is a set of meshes. You need to combine all of those cubes together to form a single mesh for it to be usable I'm afraid. For texturing you need to do a UV unwrap and map the different faces of the mesh against different areas of a texture. Perhaps have a look at these tutorials here, not sure how good they are though.

Hello again. I've played some other games for some time now, but I've recently made some music. The track is called Final Escape. It'll (If ever used) probably be used as a jukebox song, but could be used in the night as well. I am not able to make a longer version of Sky of stars because that I lost the project data. I've started working on the Ghost again however.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Not bad. The last segment before the outro sort of doesn't fit the remainder of the piece, IMHO. The piece is again also sort of modern (jazzy) contrasted to the natural feel we've got with Terasology's fantasy. So yeah, maybe another jukebox type piece.

At last, the 3D model of the ghost is READY FOR USE.:D:omg::pinkiehappy: The only thing we need now is the script.:geek: I don't know much java, but is there any way my html knowledge can help?:)

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The model looks like it would work, not bad, but I don't know the exact technical requirements or if they match. What do you mean "script"?

To get a model in-game it just needs a little prefab file with a few properties in it. There are a few examples - ideally you'd look at an existing example in the code, replicate that with your model, then run the game with the model spawnable. That also is most the work of actually adding it to the code base.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I would suggest the mouth could be improved by changing it to one box stretched out instead of four overlapping cubes.

The model looks like it would work, not bad, but I don't know the exact technical requirements or if they match. What do you mean "script"?
What I mean with script is whatever code that is needed to make the model a in-game entity that does what it should do. For this one it's spawning in nighttime and attacking the player.
To get a model in-game it just needs a little prefab file with a few properties in it. There are a few examples - ideally you'd look at an existing example in the code, replicate that with your model, then run the game with the model spawnable. That also is most the work of actually adding it to the code base.
I've looked at the files for the cubes in the portal mod, but I'm not really sure how to make it appear as my model with my texture. Where should I put my model to make it work?
I would suggest the mouth could be improved by changing it to one box stretched out instead of four overlapping cubes.
Well, that surely looks much better. Maybe I'll do that when I get enough time.

I've started making another model too. It's more like a player or roleplaying NPC.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
GoldenDragon - look at something like Terasology\mods\oreominions\assets\prefabs\OreoBuilder.prefab for an example of something with a custom model that's set up and able to be spawned in-game (and the oreominions module itself to see what kinds of files go where)

The prefab definition is the light-weight version of what's needed. Special attributes like night-only spawning would need a bit of supporting code added sometime.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
do keep in mind the miniions require at least one animation, as you need to add an animation component to them (simpleminionai expects it atm, there is no non-animated version anymore), but you can assign the same animation to each entry.

Might be another couple bugs like because of the way I use a different texture for selected minions, I'd have to add that definition to a prefab to so if you use other models it knows what texture to use when one is selected, I didn't do that yet as no one ever seemed interested in using other models till now, let me know if you plan to use it, then I'll prioritize these things.