Archived Installation Directory...huh?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
What do you mean when it stops and asks about an installation directory? Can you provide more details?

The launcher will manage both game installations (the install dir) and game data (data dir) - so it should ask you for those two directories.

We had an issue some time back where the file chooser dialogue was having problems on some OSes, but they were supposedly resolved. What exact OS are you using?

Nova

I double click the TerasologyLauncher. It the shows a rectangular loading screen for Terasology. It then opens up a file directory under (AppData >Roaming>Terasology), where there is nothing there. From, this, it is asking me to choose an Installation Directory for the game.

I am using Windows 8

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep. That's the directory where the launcher will put files. Probably you'll want to make two new directories to pick.

It isn't asking you to find a directory with stuff in it, but asking you to pick one to place stuff in :)

Kawaii Bang

Yep. That's the directory where the launcher will put files. Probably you'll want to make two new directories to pick.

It isn't asking you to find a directory with stuff in it, but asking you to pick one to place stuff in :)
I don't understand much, I'm trying to download Terasology but the same thing happened to me. Could you kindly explain? Thank you!

gianluca_n

Contributor
I don't understand much, I'm trying to download Terasology but the same thing happened to me. Could you kindly explain? Thank you!
The game uses two directories. One for it's files (binaries, assets, etc), and another one for your savegames. The first time you start the launcher, you have to tell it which directories to use. First it will ask where you want to put the game core files, then where you want to put the saves.
For example you could create two directories in your Documents folder, "terasology-data" and "terasology-saves", then open the launcher and choose these directories.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
@gianluca_n and @Cervator are exactly right - the launcher asks you where you want to install the game to. It tries to propose reasonable default directories (the empty ones your are seeing in the directory chooser), so you should be fine with just clicking "OK" each time.

Note to self: Simplify the process by asking the user whether they want to use the default paths (and inform them about the paths and that they can be changed in the settings later). Only present directory chooser when the user wants to set the installation and data path manually.

Kawaii Bang

The game uses two directories. One for it's files (binaries, assets, etc), and another one for your savegames. The first time you start the launcher, you have to tell it which directories to use. First it will ask where you want to put the game core files, then where you want to put the saves.
For example you could create two directories in your Documents folder, "terasology-data" and "terasology-saves", then open the launcher and choose these directories.
alright, thank you! I will try downloading terasology again. :)