After having read most I could find, I have a bit of a lore-wise question.. or a few :
- Why do we, as a player, have to belong to either faction? Even if the answer to that is avoided, and say we do belong to one of the factions, who are we? Are we the creation of one of the kings? Or maybe a creation of this world's God to help the less fortunate king create balance? (even so, it's a bit awkward, since our mission is to crush the other king; If we help one side, the other will win, and I don't see how the God would prefer that). Only explanation I could find for belonging to a faction and having the setting described is that we're the ultimate creation of the chosen king, which is why they have less power than the other. We are a war machine bent on destroying the opposing faction. And in that case, the last thing we'll want to do is to find the white scepter and bring peace in the world. So many questions here
- The world was the normal green lush terra (hehe) (it being grayscale before creation doesn't make too much sense imo) before the kings started to claim territories and create pawns. It would be understandable that not the whole world is covered in color. Maybe just a certain area of the map is affected by the effects of the reds and blacks, while there should be some white (maybe a small chapel, or at least some sort of place of worship he'd build for the God) that remained there since neither the reds nor the blacks ever wanted white dead, and they wouldn't steal his territory because of their grief, and to remember him. This might be what we find as the center of the maze, and what is buried under the yin-yang. No faction dares use the scepter for neither good nor evil, so why would we? This is why I'd consider that the warring factions motif is more approachable than cleansing the world. On the other hand, If we were a steampunky space explorer that crash landed on the planet in a pod, and our main vessel broke into pieces and formed craters or metal, pipes and other debris, we would have a reason to
1. Explore the world (more than 1 reason - magic, technology and understanding the world)
2. To be at war with both factions, since they considered to be attacked when the debris fell on they kingdoms, and they actively send search parties from which you have to hide or fight (risking making them send bigger groups)
3. Eventually find the white scepter and bring peace, since you are the equivalent of a being sent by the God to purge the land of the corrupted powers.
4. To create diplomatic relations with the kings by going to their courts (after the guards disarm you of course), and doing missions for them, earning trust and possibly betraying them? (too much AI stuff here xD)
5. Just muck about and do whatever you want as long as you can survive.
- Are the world beasts created by the kings? I haven't seen any sort of info on this, but it does sound like either faction should have inhabiting creatures that are malicious/hostile towards everything ( created in fits of rage and anger ), reason why they would be tinted black and red, as they are anyway; And then come the cute creatures, the ones that are harmless, or even friendly, created by white because that's how he wanted the world to be. (which fits well with the Dominog - which I personally think should have red spots on one side, or maybe a red ear and some red spots, for the sake of white considering both opposing factions his allies). I know I've seen a lot of creature cards, most evil and such, but they just "existed". Would be nice to have some lore about them
- As for the title of Light and Shadow, I still consider it valid from the perspective that both of these factions are "Shadow", while the light has been extinguished. You have the option to find the light and bring it forth, or fight alongside the shadow, or even become the shadow yourself.
- Now comes the really weird part : If you get all three scepters, you could have the option to use any individually to colour the world as you want, changing terrain and tagging areas to your liking, making your own game, having minions kill each other for your own fun. But, if you combine all the scepters, you get a scepter of purification, which when used, cleanses the whole world of the Light and Shadow taints, and transforms the land in what it once was, thus letting you continue in your own survival game.