Archived Launcher background: to blur or not to blur

Blur the background image of the Teratology launcher?

• Total voters

Vessalix

Contributor
I have been working to make the launcher window resizable. Therefore I had to replace the background with a higher-resolution image.

However the original background was blurred using Gaussian blur. My question to you folks is what do you prefer in the new image?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the comparison! That's helpful.

Looking at them I think I prefer the blurred version slightly. It leaves a bit of mystique as the game is still a little distant. This is "just" the launcher after all :)

I suspect it would also leave the image a little more "future proofed" in case of changes affecting the visuals slightly, but not enough to necessarily bother updating backgrounds and things all over.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
The blurred version for the exact reasons @Cervator mentioned ;)
I chose the forest screenshot some time ago because it does not have a distraction luminance/color changes in it. I think the image you currently have in use is a bit too vibrant (e.g., you can hardly see the ligth tabs in front of the sky in the background). Maybe we can find a better image with less "distraction"...

Rostyslav Zatserkovnyi

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Hunter
I would either use the non-blurred version of this screenshot or a blurred screenshot of a more "normal"-looking generated world.

(Mostly because the floating islands in the upper left look really odd when blurred)

Last edited:

Vessalix

Contributor
Thanks for all the input! Personally I prefer the non-blurred version, but I realize the advantages of a blurred image as well. This means the blurred version it is! Soon I shall replace the current image with a more ''normal''-looking generated world, and add gaussian blur to it. I shall make a PR request soon. Once again thanks for discussing this topic.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
@Vessalix thank you again for your work, I just merged the PR with some minor additions. In case you want continue working on the launcher there are quite a few contributor friendly/bite-sized issues ;) You contributions are really appreciated!