Light and Shadow Skybox

glasz

Contributor
Art
A while ago samuncle proposed to work on a skybox for terasology, as can be seen on this thread :

http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/a-new-skybox.589/
Even though he's now busy with another project and wont be available for the implementation, i liked a number of ideas he had that we had the occasion to discuss : having several satellites and celestial bodies, with their distinct cycles, that would influence the gameplay. I think it would work well with the L&S mod, especially if the celestial bodies have some game related appearance ;) .

I was thinking for example : why not have red/black/white satellites wich, when high in the sky , would give an advantage to one of the factions? Think "the red moon is high tonight my queen, it might not be a good time for the assault, let's wait for the white star to raise a little more".

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Paging begla here sometime to see if he'd be willing to officially put the multiple moons on his short-list :)

Relates to old issues #94, #95, #96, but we don't need all of it at once :D

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Yup, that'll be the next thing I'll do when I got all the rendering annoyances out of the way. :)

Currently both sun and moon are just simple... Dot products. Should I just create differently colored and scaled versions of those or directly add "texturing" support?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
First one, then the other :D

I think plain scaled color would be fine. Having texture options eventually would be awesome, but would be lower priority. With the second it is only a matter of time until we have NPCs talking about "the mouse shadow on the second moon" and "the chosen one" :)