Implementation Light & Shadow

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Hi everyone.

We've talked about world concepts for a game module a lot over the past year and nothing has really stuck . Nature vs. Mechanist; Oreons vs. Cheese, Healthy vs. Junk Food, etc. I've been hoping that some of these concepts would generate some traction or interest, but they haven't. Part of the problem is, as we talk about these concepts, they grow to a point that seems a bit overwhelming to implement. Another part is, I don't think we've chosen something that strikes a real chord with anyone as a theme.

To get something going, we really need to start simple. We also need a solid, consistent vision that people are willing to get behind.

To that end, I'm hoping that one of my latest concept worlds will be both visually appealing, fun, and simple enough to get us going, all while staying true to what the Terasology engine does best - building stuff (primarily with blocks).

In an effort to get a basic game module underway, I've created a game-concept based off chess pieces. Glasz and I have been working on some initial character models for the game that I'm really excited about. Glasz's collaboration really got me energized and thinking that this first game module might actually be possible. You can check out some of the great 3D models he's created based off my concept art in the Art forum:

http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/light-and-shadow.762/

The basic rules of this game module are pretty simple:

1. Red vs Black - (chess pieces are the minion/character models only, it's not chess)
2. Tower building and defense (build and defend towers)
3. Destructible environments (think of our old rail gun on a smaller scale)
4. Waypoint or objective-type captures as the end goal
5. Gameworld is based on classic board games (see the art thread)

Minion control, AI, crafting of resources / weapons, etc. would all be things to discuss at some later point. There are obviously MANY details that would need fleshed out. But I feel we really need a sense of where to start. I'm hoping this concept is unique and distinct enough from many of the minecraft clones out there that it sets us apart, while still being simple enough for us to work on and actually implement.

Please read over some of the ideas over in the Art thread and let me know if this is something people would like to explore further (or not).

Esereja

Contributor
I agree on making something simple and playable while waiting grand thingy getting ready. If we have anything playable our interest on public eyes will grow exponentially.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Starting to organize some of the bits for this on GitHub. Attempting to do smaller more exact issues with art assets and implementation split apart so we can finish stuff separately with more people able to work the different items.

Initial "phase 1" milestone at: https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues?milestone=8

I made another milestone for "everything else" and will keep pouring some more issues in there. Buuuut it is getting close to 2 am and I'm still sick, probably shouldn't actually be up this late :p

Finally I submitted the initial skeleton for the L&S module so we have a target to submit to. I'd like the artists to get involved here and submit the art assets produced, Git lessons available if needed :D

SuperSnark - add a nice header to your first post sometime :D

glasz

Contributor
Art
I was thinking about the art commit issue, i know all the info is on the internet, but would a simplified github tutorial targeted at asset commit be possible? You know like "git commit for dummies".

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Absolutely. Was just getting too late last night :D Will try to look at something this evening.

In the meantime - when you have a fully animated model in Blender do you know how to get all the right file formats we need out of it? I'm not sure if that's already magically the case or we have to export something specific.

glasz

Contributor
Art
i know we need *.md5 files, i have the exporter but have issues wit it. Janred seems to have more success with it than me so maybe i'll just pass the blends to him :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Added another big pile of issues to GitHub tonight, one more batch tomorrow and maybe I'll be able to catch up with the forum and other stuff (like GitHubby intro stuff). Oh, and fixed the applet and stuff too :p

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Since the map is finite we need to think of how we want to handle the egdes.
  1. Magical barrier
  2. Floating island (render clouds or water below) - This could be altered to have 3 floating platforms, connected by bridges or something like that. But I am not sure how big the platforms should be (amount of resources available, ...)
  3. A vale with steep mountain slopes on the edges. Rock material should be (nearly) unbreakable for this barrier.
Suggestions? Preferences?

Janred

Contributor
Art
I really like the idea with that platforms :)
2 small islands, 1 for your team and 1 for the enemy, only connected with bridges to an (bigger?) island in the middle where the gathering and fighting for minerals/ressources starts. :)
Edit: But if someone falls down and dont dies, that would be bad :)
Maybe islands with valeys :D

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Letting the player die if he falls of the island should be easy. 1) Define a minimum height in the world the player has to be at. If he is below, deal constantly damage - or 2) a layer of invisible blocks beneath the platforms. Maybe fall damage is enough, but I think we can define blocks that deal damage to the player when in contact ;)

glasz

Contributor
Art
i like the idea of the floating island, the borders could be like those of a regular checker board.

Ideally of course the world should be carried by four giant turtles.

Marcin Sciesinski

Code ALL the Ages!
Contributor
World
Architecture
Hmm. I'm a little worried that the first game we release couldn't be played single player... Any plans about an AI opponent?

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
The map over in the L&S thread is the idea that the world is a giant game board suspended in space. Fairly massive though despite this ... and you can definitely fall off of it.

I think Cervator mentioned something about hacking it up into floating islands as is also mentioned here. An island per faction and the central control point where the white sceptor lies.

I'm all for this concept as well. I think as long as the basic premise of 2 factions and the central control point is maintained I'm
good

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I was just thinking one single island like the map, multiple islands is another idea :)

It might have some advantages if we don't want players tunneling across the entire map. Another possibility is leaving the world very "thin" to not leave a huge underworld to tunnel through. Overworld is better for this sort of thing.

Single player would work, IMHO, even if there isn't much challenge (to begin with). If the map fast forwarded a bit to where each side has an established base and waves are being sent automatically it could be interesting as a solo player to see the effect of small tweaks. Or just explore the world ahead of playing in multi.

Janred - not a movie, but IIRC Avatar the last Airbender also had a floating tortoise island :)

I think Gooey might be up for going Atlas and carrying the world on his spongy yet perfectly flat back - that would make so much more sense than four turtles, they'd leave so much of the world poorly supported it would crumble sooner or later! ;)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Lol ... This entire world is simply a microcosm of germs on Gooey's head! Or warring factions of lice. Ewwww.

I think single player is very do-able if our Ai is robust enough. It could ramp up at preset difficulty levels. Build standardized structures when resource levels are met, etc.