Question [Linux] Terasology not working on old laptop

Avior

Hi, yesterday I installed Terasology on my Ubuntu 17.04 laptop, a mid-2000s Toshiba Satellite. Every game ran fine when I had Windows Vista, but since I switched to Linux I'm having problems with almost any game and they're all caused by OpenGL. It runs OpenGL 2.1 and I cannot get to update it in any way. I use the open source drivers instead of the proprietary ones.
I downloaded the latest version and launched the game, but as soon as I do so, the game crashes with two errors, as soon as I get to my laptop I'll update the post including them.
Thanks in advance! I'm really curious to try this game ^^

Avior

This is the error I got:

The following OpenGL versions/extensions are required but are not supported by your GPU driver:
-GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
-GL_ARB_texture_float

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey there :)

Yeah unfortunately that error is pretty clear, and older laptops are nearly the bane of our existence here :D

Up to you if you want to try the proprietary drivers or some other GPU tinkering. I don't think it is an issue we can address in the short-term, although in the long-term we're trying to improve compatibility in general.

Avior

Hi. I switched to DeepinOS and I'm using proprietary drivers. I got Minecraft working just like in Windows, no problems at all, so this evening I wanted to give a try to Terasology, too. The game started and I created a world with the lowest graphics. While the world was loading, the game suddently crashed, here's the log:

Code:
20:51:29.617 [main] WARN  o.t.engine.internal.TimeBase - Delta too great (1349), capping to 1000
20:51:29.649 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: engine:1.5.0
20:51:29.649 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: CommonWorld:0.2.2-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.650 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: Core:1.5.0
20:51:29.650 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: Fences:0.1.1-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.651 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: Cities:0.6.1-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.651 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: Economy:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.651 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: Minimap:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.651 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: StructuralResources:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.651 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: StructureTemplates:0.2.0-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.651 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: DynamicCities:0.2.0-SNAPSHOT
20:51:29.652 [main] INFO  o.t.e.m.loadProcesses.RegisterMods - Activating module: MedievalCities:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT
20:51:37.628 [main] WARN  o.t.engine.internal.TimeBase - Delta too great (1269), capping to 1000
20:51:37.642 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome MOUNTAINS with short id 0.
20:51:37.643 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome SNOW with short id 1.
20:51:37.643 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome DESERT with short id 2.
20:51:37.643 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome FOREST with short id 3.
20:51:37.643 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome OCEAN with short id 4.
20:51:37.643 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome BEACH with short id 5.
20:51:37.644 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome PLAINS with short id 6.
20:51:37.647 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registering biome org.terasology.world.biomes.UnknownBiome@cda144a with short id 0.
20:51:37.649 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:mountains with id 1 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:37.653 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:snow with id 2 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:37.653 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:desert with id 3 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:37.653 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:forest with id 4 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:37.653 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:ocean with id 5 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:37.654 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:beach with id 6 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:37.654 [main] INFO  o.t.world.biomes.BiomeManager - Registered new biome Core:plains with id 7 that wasn't present in the save game.
20:51:38.001 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab engine:clientInfo with inputs [/engine/assets/prefabs/player/clientInfo.prefab]
20:51:38.022 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab MedievalCities:smallHut with inputs [/MedievalCities/assets/prefabs/bldg/smallHut.prefab]
20:51:38.125 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab MedievalCities:houseTemplate01 with inputs [/MedievalCities/assets/prefabs/templates/houseTemplate01.prefab]
20:51:38.128 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab StructureTemplates:structureSpawnItem with inputs [/StructureTemplates/assets/prefabs/structureSpawnItem.prefab]
20:51:38.137 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab engine:iconItem with inputs [/engine/assets/prefabs/iconItem.prefab]
20:51:38.140 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab engine:itemBase with inputs [/engine/assets/prefabs/itemBase.prefab]
20:51:38.145 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab engine:physicalDamage with inputs [/engine/assets/prefabs/damageTypes/physicalDamage.prefab]
20:51:38.151 [main] INFO  o.t.e.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat - Attempting to deserialize prefab engine:itemPickup with inputs [/engine/assets/prefabs/itemPickup.prefab]
20:51:38.166 [main] WARN  o.t.p.s.ComponentSerializer - Cannot deserialize unknown field 'front' onto 'StructureTemplates:StructureTemplate'
20:51:38.291 [main] INFO  o.t.w.b.internal.BlockManagerImpl - Registered BlockFamily[Core:cobblestone]
20:51:38.292 [main] INFO  o.t.w.b.internal.BlockManagerImpl - Registered Block Core:cobblestone with id 1
20:51:38.297 [main] ERROR o.t.module.sandbox.ModuleClassLoader - Denied access to class (not allowed with this module's permissions): jdk.internal.reflect.ConstructorAccessorImpl
20:51:38.301 [main] ERROR o.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine - Uncaught exception, attempting clean game shutdown
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jdk/internal/reflect/ConstructorAccessorImpl
    at java.base/jdk.internal.misc.Unsafe.defineClass0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.misc.Unsafe.defineClass(Unsafe.java:1173)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.ClassDefiner.defineClass(ClassDefiner.java:63)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.MethodAccessorGenerator$1.run(MethodAccessorGenerator.java:400)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.MethodAccessorGenerator$1.run(MethodAccessorGenerator.java:394)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.MethodAccessorGenerator.generate(MethodAccessorGenerator.java:393)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.MethodAccessorGenerator.generateConstructor(MethodAccessorGenerator.java:92)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:55)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:488)
    at java.base/java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:558)
    at org.terasology.persistence.typeHandling.coreTypes.MappedContainerTypeHandler.deserialize(MappedContainerTypeHandler.java:71)
    at org.terasology.persistence.typeHandling.SimpleTypeHandler.deserializeCollection(SimpleTypeHandler.java:45)
    at org.terasology.persistence.typeHandling.coreTypes.ListTypeHandler.deserialize(ListTypeHandler.java:46)
    at org.terasology.persistence.typeHandling.coreTypes.ListTypeHandler.deserialize(ListTypeHandler.java:28)
    at org.terasology.persistence.typeHandling.Serializer.deserializeOnto(Serializer.java:97)
    at org.terasology.persistence.typeHandling.Serializer.deserializeOnto(Serializer.java:155)
    at org.terasology.persistence.serializers.ComponentSerializer.deserializeOnto(ComponentSerializer.java:202)
    at org.terasology.persistence.serializers.ComponentSerializer.deserialize(ComponentSerializer.java:118)
    at org.terasology.persistence.serializers.PrefabSerializer.applyComponentChanges(PrefabSerializer.java:164)
    at org.terasology.persistence.serializers.PrefabSerializer.deserialize(PrefabSerializer.java:136)
    at org.terasology.persistence.serializers.PrefabSerializer.deserialize(PrefabSerializer.java:116)
    at org.terasology.entitySystem.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat.load(PrefabFormat.java:55)
    at org.terasology.entitySystem.prefab.internal.PrefabFormat.load(PrefabFormat.java:36)
    at org.terasology.assets.module.UnloadedAssetData$AssetSourceResolver.load(UnloadedAssetData.java:292)
    at org.terasology.assets.module.UnloadedAssetData.load(UnloadedAssetData.java:180)
    at org.terasology.assets.module.ModuleAssetDataProducer.getAssetData(ModuleAssetDataProducer.java:228)
    at org.terasology.assets.AssetType.lambda$reload$2(AssetType.java:359)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at org.terasology.assets.AssetType.reload(AssetType.java:357)
    at org.terasology.assets.AssetType.getNormalAsset(AssetType.java:386)
    at org.terasology.assets.AssetType.getAsset(AssetType.java:262)
    at org.terasology.assets.management.AssetManager.getAsset(AssetManager.java:223)
    at org.terasology.engine.modes.loadProcesses.LoadPrefabs.step(LoadPrefabs.java:44)
    at org.terasology.engine.modes.StateLoading.update(StateLoading.java:243)
    at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.tick(TerasologyEngine.java:435)
    at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.mainLoop(TerasologyEngine.java:400)
    at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.run(TerasologyEngine.java:376)
    at org.terasology.engine.Terasology.main(Terasology.java:153)
20:51:38.302 [main] INFO  o.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine - Shutting down Terasology...

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
So the bit about "Denied access to class (not allowed with this module's permissions): jdk.internal.reflect.ConstructorAccessorImpl" is most likely caused by running a Terasology prior to https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/pull/3107 being merged, using Java 9. Could you try running the very latest develop build or using Java 8 instead?

I don't think MC works on Java 9 at all so you might have both installed and MC just somehow picks 8 on its own?

Avior

Thanks, I'll try as soon as my internet connection allows me to, it would take all night long :p

Avior

Nope, I just checked. I only have Java 9 installed. I'll try downloading Java8 and removing 9 as soon as I can.

Avior

I have good news, I sorted out half problem. Installing Java 8 and removing Java 9 sorted out some problems with Minecraft, too. Terasology generates the world fine, but the screen stays black. All the GUI including the map and the inventory appears.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
So the black screen excepting visible GUI is typically still a video card issue. For instance see https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/1058 - in that case the user submitted a full log file and there were additional interesting errors. Hard to say whether we can actually do anything about such errors, if they occur. But could you check and see? At least we can narrow it down specifically to a particular rendering option and maybe get that some more options in the future :)

Avior

Thanks. Sorry if I didn't reply back, I kinda forgot. Yeah, it is the same problem, but I'm not sure if I could hear sounds. I could see the map on the top left and it works. This is a pretty old laptop, so no doubt it's a video compatibility issue.

On the other side Minecraft works pretty fine, I'm gonna try shaders tonight and see how they perform. I've managed to get 100 FPS on a flatmap without Optifine :)
Thanks!