Little Guidance to Issue #1120

codesavory

Hello,

I was looking to help develop the UI and functionality for this issue. I was wondering how to we go about finding the issues when the game is actually normally running without crashing ? are there checkpoints in our code that periodically checks if there are some issue with the currently running game and are they recorded somewhere. If so, we can then fetch this record and show them in the UI and add features for uploading and filing an issue.

Are we also thinking of expanding this to handle CrashReports, like a button that would ask the user if he/she is willing to send anonymous crash data back to the developers (Like how Mozilla or Ubuntu does).

Is there anything particular we are looking for in here and also it would be great if someone just points to the files and classes to be working around to create a fix for this issue.

Thanks,
Codesavory

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I think the easiest way would be to simply scan the game log for "ERROR" entries or stack traces, if you want to be able to intelligently mark the UI somehow. Like a little red blinking light (I think we're about to have nicer UI animation support!) in a bottom corner if any error logging has been detected, that on a click would launch the Crash Reporter with the current log highlighted.

Anonymous data even for non-crash situations would be awesome, if we can introduce it clearly labelled and opt-in, and match it with some server side metrics collector of some sort. That's a pretty advanced feature though.

@msteiger would be the main person to ask about the CR in more details :)