Project Mapgeneration for L&S

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Name: Mapgeneration for L&S
Summary: Create Maps suitable for L&S, including fractionning, right ore distribution etc.
Scope: Engine/Core Content
Current Goal: Determine how the map should look like
Phase: Design
Curator: Nym Traveel
Related: Listing some names here I read in the context of mapgen (in no particular order ;) ): MPratt , JRoush , APexPanda , Skaldarnar , Laurimann and as the main driver of the L&S idea SuperSnark

I saw many ideas for mapgeneration in Light&Shadow scattered around and I think it's time to gather them.
Map Shape Possibilities:
  • Floating Islands Fantasy themed, surely will be eye candy, easy to realize borders (fall off the map)
  • Islands the more natural approach, borders could either be invis walls or simply infinite ocean
(Paint concept arts much appreciated :) )

Ores:
The idea of fraction based ores is quite interesting imho. Cool would be to have just a collection with ores and corresponding set of rules which then get distributed automatically. Then we can dynamically add and delete Ores and whatever. I don't know if we have the need for this huuuuge list of materials floating around in the forums or just 6-10 neutral ores and 2-3 faction based ones.
With the core algorithm from Custom Ore Generation we can have a jsons for every ore with the infos which distribution and settings to use.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
We discussed the idea of smaller milestones (as for LS in general) for map loading/generation as well. So, putting the discussion on IRC in a roadmap may look like the following.

--- first test version ---
  • Load a fixed game map from predefined height map
  • Place trees/minerals/resources (randomly)
  • Set player(s) start position(s)
--- first alpha version ---
  • Load custom maps from specific folder
  • connect islands (or whatever we end up with) [with bridges]
  • place resources so that they are equally distributed to both players
  • allow users to specify "areas" and "bridges" on the heightmap [using colors]
--- first release version ---
  • procedurally generate resources/tress/structures over the map

Or, as MoSCoW-specification (roughly for something like "beta phase"):
Must:
  • load at least one fixed heightmap
  • place trees/minerals/resources
  • define faction base areas
Should:
  • load custom maps from mod specific folder
  • allow players and users to create own maps easily
Could:
  • "Random Map" feature
Would:
  • fully procedural map generation
  • some kind of map editor

The heightmap could have a resolution of 2x2 pixels per chunk, letting some room for details if we need it (e.g. place bridges and smaller strcutures).

Some concept art for further illustration:
floating_isles.png
map concept.png
symmetry.png

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah MPratt may already be working on the limited height map chunk gen we need for the raw world (and . I like the first test version goal, then we can get fancy with islands and nice ore etc :)

Tuxacker might also be involved some at least with the beginning flora gen

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump. Running out of easy threads to move out of the Incubator. This one is old but has a few neat drawings. It would get lost in the middle of the main L&S implementation thread, but isn't really its own independent thing. I marked it a "project" for now, but am unsure if we need a separate thread on L&S world gen. Where are we at on that topic, anyway?

Cities can do symmetric worlds and is already in use with the L&S textures. We just need some custom structures - @Skaldarnar - and maybe for the world to be more exact with spawn points and identical opposing cities probably on a straight axis instead of diagonal (easier to get opposing walls) - @msteiger

Or just merge this into the main thread and be done with it for now?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I would like to keep it separate and post news on LaS world gen in here - like the latest achievements with magical sphere, or upcoming work such as the hex-style PolyWorld approach. Actually this would allow to move some of the Slack discussion into the forum for better archiving and getting more people involved.