Pending Module dependency resolution failed

Adinan Cenci

Hello. I am trying to add mods to Terasology.
When I click the Download button, no matter of which mod, I got this error message: Module dependency resolution failed

Does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Belated hello there - did you ask this on IRC or GitHub as well? I seem to recall a similar question coming up recently.

It would be interesting to dig deeper into this one if it still happens. Our meta server (helps module downloads) was briefly unavailable a while ago, maybe the timing was just right for that to be responsible.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Huh, those logs seem odd. The second one has an 18 second gap and then the game just dies? No logging specific to actions you're taking in the UI and nothing in the game other than the bit about dependency resolution failing?

You seem to have an odd version of the game. It is lacking version info and only has three modules. Are you running from source?

Code:
19:54:46.773 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: BuilderSampleGameplay-1.4.1-SNAPSHOT
19:54:46.774 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: Core-1.4.1-SNAPSHOT
19:54:46.775 [main] INFO  o.t.module.ModulePathScanner - Discovered module: CoreSampleGameplay-1.4.1-SNAPSHOT
Based on those version tags the code is a bit old. Latest right now for those three is 1.5.1-SNAPSHOT. Just ran from source, picked a random module I didn't have in my workspace, hit download, and it worked:

Code:
15:41:36.083 [main] INFO  o.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine - Initialization completed in 44.13sec.
15:41:39.315 [main] WARN  o.t.engine.internal.TimeBase - Delta too great (46860), capping to 1000
15:41:39.323 [main] INFO  o.t.logic.console.ConsoleImpl - [NOTIFICATION] Identity storage service: No configuration data is present, staying logged out.
15:43:20.243 [pool-3-thread-1] INFO  o.t.e.module.ModuleListDownloader - Downloading modules ..
15:43:20.602 [pool-3-thread-1] INFO  o.t.e.module.ModuleListDownloader - Parsing content ..
15:43:21.160 [pool-3-thread-1] INFO  o.t.e.module.ModuleListDownloader - Retrieved 141 entries
15:43:26.155 [Parallel Operation] INFO  o.t.engine.module.ModuleInstaller - Started downloading 1 modules
15:43:26.404 [Parallel Operation] INFO  o.t.engine.module.ModuleInstaller - Module download completed, loading the new modules...
15:43:26.405 [Parallel Operation] INFO  o.t.engine.module.ModuleInstaller - Finished loading the downloaded modules
Game ran fine after and activated the new module. I will say that some of the things that work well for binary distributions of the game don't necessarily work great when running from source, like setting up a server and connecting clients to it that lack modules (causes auto-download which may fail if said modules are only present as source)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh, that might be one of the unofficial / third party distributions then. And may be out of date or weird :)

There isn't a specific Linux version, the general zip we release works everywhere: https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/releases

For some reason that I cannot remember we put the Linux executable script in /bin after you extract the zip. Try that out and see if it works?

Adinan Cenci

I downloaded the zip and executed the run_linux.sh
The game started and most mods were already available just needing enabling, so that's nice.
But trying to update or download the ones that weren't present resulted in the same error message.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ah-hah! I can replicate from the Alpha 8 zip now as well, yet it works perfectly fine when running from source or a very recent dev build. We must have fixed it already and it stick out for Alpha 8 testing since mostly everything useful is already shipped with the game.

There is no logging which seems like an oversight. There should be something to direct the user to when we present an error like that. And it seems like we did run into that in the past ... :D

I've submitted https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/3131 to cover this so we don't forget, it provides and links to more gory details if you're interested :)

In short for now: Just use the Alpha 8 zip and its bundled modules. If you really want extra modules (keeping in mind most are new, poorly maintained or outright broken) you can download them manually from http://jenkins.terasology.org/view/Modules/ and just drop the main jar into Terasology's module dir. Or use a recent dev build but that risks stability issues of a different kind.

Thanks for raising this issue! I hope it'll lead to some improvements in the game's user feedback :)