More version increments to avoid dependency issues

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The reasoning block is great :)

The two todo sections read a little confusing / overly verbose to me, might be better with examples rather than versioning math.

Especially something like

It sets the maxVersion dependency field of all dependent modules to 0.x+2.0 (= compatible with 0.x+1.*)
Not entirely sure what is going on there. If we make an API breaking PR we increment minor by one. By the natural behavior of gestalt-module a dependent would no longer accept that version. So I guess you're saying if we want to go out of our way to validate the dependent as compatible we'd increment its maxVersion - but wouldn't we just do so by +1 not +2? So it matches the version being released.

I'm hoping to avoid / automate as many version bumps as we can, lest GitHub get too chatty with pure version bumps. I guess that may be more of an issue in the 0.x.y days tho :)

More lenient Gestalt would be helpful too, so if maxVersion is exceeded the user gets an option (with disclaimer) to use it anyway.

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
@Cervator: Thanks for the review.

I added a section about how to specify a dependency.

When there is just a minVersion specified there is implicitly a maxVersion field with an incremented minor version number (as described in that new section).

e.g. when there was a minVerison=0.54.0 field, then there was implicitly also a maxVersion=0.55.0 field. Thus when there was just a minVersion field with the value 0.54.0 and the module is also compatible with 0.55.0 then a maxVersion field with the value 0.56.0 needs to be added.

Thus if old minVersion was 0.x.0 then the maxVersion field needs to be set to 0.x+2.0 if the moduel is also compatible with 0.x+1.0.

Once the stuff is automated we can propably greatly simplify the TODO lists.