Resolved Need help: Tera Newbie has a crashing game and doesnt know why

Karmapanda

Hey all,

i just started playing. At some point i would think it could be my graphics card.. at some other point that cant be. I do not own an outdated graphics card. So please be precise what exactly causes the crash. I think it may have something to do with the base settings done in the launcher.. yet i dont know how to exactly fill them in correctly. If u have a solution please tell me more. I tried some google but after the 10 th crash i simply need to ask you lot . thank you very

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5l2RT_UOCXRX3E0c1NGeUpWMlE&export=download

Karmapanda

Machine name: LAURENTH
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150722-0600)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55A-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16380MB RAM
Page File: 13298MB used, 7209MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 580
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3019 MB
Shared Memory: 1076 MB

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Karmapanda :)

Your computer is plenty strong for Terasology and you're fine there. You have two issues
  1. You're enabling a lot of modules. Imagine running MC with every mod you could find and cram into the game. That's a recipe for instability. The "Gameplay Templates" are what we test for stability within and those should work great. Venture beyond those into enabling extra modules and expose yourself to dire dangers lest you know what you're doing! :)
  2. Speaking of recipe for instability: You did indeed hit some and found a bug! It looks like the LegacyMusic module (which we haven't looked at for ages) has a poorly configured asset. "SpacialWinds" the music piece exists yet the config is asking for "SpatialWinds". That is causing your crash. Which in turn is an engine bug as attempting to play a non-existing piece of music shouldn't crash the game.
Solution: Simply try one of the gameplay templates without enabling a bunch of extras, especially since several modules clash and will lead to poor or impossible gameplay anyway. Or at the very least run without LegacyMusic. Try it out and let us know!