OreGeneration

APexPanda

Hello, along with my mod TorchLife im currently working on making ores generate. Right now its going swell. got most ores to generate but they generate of the surface. I will get pictures up asap.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Keep in mind that we want ores to generate with some sort of strategy, not just randomly :)

So discussing what sort of approach you're taking might be good - there are some existing notes here and there to review for inspiration too.

APexPanda

I tried searching using the search feature but i couldnt find anything. Maybe you could link me to some good threads. Also remember i just started this, now someone just needs to convert ores to ingots when they are broken.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, sure took a bit longer than expected to get back to this. That whole three week trip to Europe got in the way a little :)

The main related thread is http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/mapgeneration.608 - it has some details on the work Nym Traveel has done, as well as some stuff on the PlaTec generator Laurimann works on and has shared with us. There's another summary in http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/where-we-are-with-world-generation.678 which also has some notes on "plate age" which could be a way to help determine ore distribution (in a plate tectonics-based world)

An older thread is http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/world-generation.274 which may also have some interesting reading, although it is a bit more about world shape. Finally there is also http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/biomes-and-map-generation.518 :)

Next steps right now might be just working with a random distribution only varied by depth. We had something primitive like that working in the past and rather than get fancy we might just want to get some stuff in-game. Rather than a "chickenpox" approach depositing individual blocks we might want to focus on larger clusters of the same (or similar) blocks that each yield a bit less than equivalent stuff in MC would. The idea there is that we want to avoid generic "stone" and fill the entirety of the underworld with distinct minerals, then leave lots of space for efficiency improvements increasing the per-block yield.

APexPanda - if you're still up for this and want to submit something on Torchlife real quick I'll get you a Contributor badge so you can post a work thread in the Incubator?

UberWaffe

Contributor
Design
This might be of interest here:
JRoush's Ore Generation Mod

I've PM'ed JRoush and asked if the source can be used for Terasology, since he does say he is willing to give the source upon request.
I've used COG before (and the XML configuration files are EXTREMELY powerful).
Some adjustment for Terasology is a given (where it ties into game engine), but the overall way distribution works and how it reads in XML configurations should still be directly applicable.

JRoush

Contributor
Hi - I'm the author of the mod UberWaffe mentioned. The source for the current version is here. The actual ore generation algorithms are in src/CustomOreGen/Server/MapGen****. The classes are heavily tied to the Minecraft structure generation system, but the core algorithms can be lifted out and transplanted somewhere else without too much work.

The algorithms themselves are dead simple, and focused more on being configurable than on being true to natural geology. This works well in Minecraft, but after reading through the thread linked by Cervator I am not sure that they would fit the more naturalistic style in this game. I really like results I saw in that thread, by the way - I'll be following the developments here, and perhaps I can contribute something in the future. Certainly I'd be happy to answer any questions about my code if it does prove to be useful.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Cool find UberWaffe and welcome JRoush ! Have a Contributor badge for sharing your code :)

Code I can't look at yet because I'm at work :cry:

I'll take a look later, but it sounds promising. While I would like to do plate tectonics and natural geology I consider that a long-term goal, an in-between option more closely following your design would be great in the meantime and it would be nice to have alternatives available long-term anyway :)

Paging Brokenshakles since he's been talking about playing with DF-like layered geology these days - maybe he could look at adapting this. It would also be excellent to have you on-board with some occasional tweaks and ideas, JRoush!

Edit: Got home close to midnight - tomorrow it is :sleep:

UberWaffe

Contributor
Design
Well, even if all game modules (such as L&S as well) go with the tectonics, even in nature you find pockets, veins and great swaths of higher purity and quality.
So I suspect that JRoush's code will always be of great use.;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Been looking a bit more at the wiki and thread now, also grabbed the source zip. Looks good, not too overwhelming, good structure and great comments both JavaDoc and normal. Nicely done, JRoush :)

And yep, the algorithms certainly will be useful. I wonder if we can use more of that, like if the configuration stuff would be useful. I'll leave the full technical review and implementation up to Nym Traveel and Brokenshakles along with other world people.

JRoush - I don't see any licensing files/headers. Did you have anything in particular in mind or can we just assimilate it into our standard licensing setup? When we actually are sure we are using the right kind, anyway :D

JRoush

Contributor
Cervator - Thanks! Code compliments always make my day :).

The only licensing requirement is written acknowledgement, which in this case can just be a comment in the modified code. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Marcin Sciesinski has a tentative integration of this working, temporarily housed in the WoodAndStone module and the associated test world gen until we can get it set up in its own module. Pix! (In case you haven't seen them on our social networks):

clusters.jpgmixed.jpgpockets.jpgveins.jpg AirVeins.jpg

Even got the idea to make snaky caves out of thick veins of air rather than minerals. Great work Marcin and thanks again JRoush ! :)