Inactive Organic Growth Simulator

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
Thanks guys! I am relieved that you like it and don't (seem to) mind the language/integration issue that much. I would have done it in Java and integrated it if I could have spared the time. I would be oh so very pleased if any of this "made it" into Terasology. I can continue to commit an hour or two a week (most weeks) to the project going forward. While I haven't been posting, I have been reading the new stuff on the forum every few days and we have downloaded and played with new versions a few times. (metouto, love all the new block designs! music people, love the new music and sounds! everybody, things are starting to get a lot more smooth looking!)

Sorry about the "radio silence" ... I am used to working alone on projects, and also I felt like I had already set out what I meant to do, and maybe there was a little reticence to admit I had to renege on the Java aspect of the thing :oops: In general I often am not able to respond to emails/forum posts right away but I do try to respond within a few days. (This is evidenced by the delay even in responding to your responses to my post on Friday, it having been a nice spring-ish weekend and everyone being out in the woods tramping around, and yes I do live in the woods, and the house needing spring cleaning and all.) But count me in for a trickle of time going forward.

woodspeople

metouto

Contributor
Art
woodspeople said:
.....metouto, love all the new block designs! .....
Thank you woodspeople ... that means a lot coming from you :oops: :oops: ..... but believe me when I say I had a LOT of help and guidance along the way :D these people around here are a super group :D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Incubator bump - forgot to move this in here earlier when ddr2 volunteered to look at porting it :)

Was reading this thread when I remembered - that fellow did a chapter on tree growth including a "Space colonization" algorithm that looks interesting, although it seems like it would be for the "all at once" type generation not over-time.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Here is another "Space colonization" blog articel. The whole blog is quite interesting (lots of procedural stuff), so it might be worth a look for everyone who's into procedural generation.

ddr2

Contributor
World
Yep, my first commit for Terasology :omg:

I am gonna keep it simple first : the tree generation will just be done at world generation, without growth after time. It should give nice "static" trees without having too much trouble integrating the whole thing into the Terasology codebase. That way, I will be able to test if I ported woodspeople work properly.

Then, I thought about two options :
  • Keeping track of all the objects used to generate the tree (I don't know how it would fit with the whole chunk thing ...). The good part is that all the work was done by woodspeople and there is quite nothing to do. The bad part is that if the player interacts with the tree using blocks, we should update that structure and it will be quite tricky.
  • Each block in the tree knows what he is doing here (internode, flower, leaf ...). Then, one way to simulate "growth" would be to have all those blocks talk to each other (since they are all adjacent in a tree it should be easy) and try to know where the whole structure should expand according to woodspeople's work. One of the good thing I see here is that we can apply this thinking not only to trees but also to the world : we could "animate" everything and bring to life the blocks :omg:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
One of the good thing I see here is that we can apply this thinking not only to trees but also to the world : we could "animate" everything and bring to life the blocks :omg:
I really like that idea. An obvious alternative is growing crystalline structures - then maybe having them come alive and eat people if they get too big, heee :lunasigh:

Get your starting work functional using a different generator class, maybe look at the Chunk Generator choice during startup, can add a third option that favors the organic trees as opposed to existing :)

Thanks for taking this on!

ahoehma

Contributor
I merged the latest java port with the actual development branch, only trivial conflicts :)

I think this feature need a "timer component" from the core system. The core engine have an "day" and currently some subsystems are "timed" (i.e. play different sounds for different day times, the liquid simulator to keep water or lava flowing). Maybe in the future there would be a weather system which should also keep synchronized with the "world time" ....

I would prefer an "synchronized" organic growth manager which can use the world-time to trigger plant growing.

Also imagine some (organic) structures which are able to grow without light / sun but still sync in time.

For debugging (and fun) it would be cool to let grow an tree (or something else) faster, i.e. with an command - idea : each "organic structure" can have an "time-factor" or something. Maybe the factor could be negative *yeaa*.

Only some ideas ...