OUYA contest!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
First big one of the kind, looks like, now that dev kits have been out all of a week in some places ;)

http://killscreendaily.com/create/

It is a "game jam" akin to the month-long thing Immortius did that produced Footbrawl Quest (which incidentally seems to have won! Although I can't find any real follow-up / announcements). But while that sports contest was more of a community enthusiast thing this one is for professional attention, $$$, and to motivate OUYA devs to produce produce produce :)

Rather than a month this one is set to last 10 days officially starting Jan 14th but people can start now. There's $45,000 up for grabs in prizes but the attention might be much more valuable than the 20k (+5k bonus if you launch officially on the OUYA) grand prize. Dev console + launch event invite too. Games don't even have to be complete, just good enough to stand out (bonus points for social media impact)

I might be an optimist but even with that I'm not saying we should go ahead and make a stab for the grand prize ;) However, this is still a very interesting contest, and maybe a nice bit of motivation to at least go through the IntelliJ + LibGDX + Android tutorial (or Eclipse, which might be more suited for OUYA ..) and build a tic-tac-toe you can play on Android and with some minimal wrapping also on the OUYA (since I can actually play test stuff here)

Or even if somebody is up for it, participate fully! On your own, with a team, with or without a Terasology reference (Gooeys-r-us?). The secondary categories leave space for winning 5k + 1k bonus simply with a novel concept. The only requirement is that somebody on the team (my assumption there, official rules will be announced on the 14th) pledged to the Kickstarter or pre-ordered an actual console.

I know I won't have enough time to spare to try to solo something but I'll be happy to help out with actual testing and deployment to the console itself if somebody wants to give it a go :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Slowly poking coworkers and whomever else I can think of to drum up some interest in this and related topics, but an actual mini-game concept eludes me. Although the shirt concept art that SuperSnark posted just recently seems inspiring - since it shows 9 topic-specific Gooey flavors that could easily be for some function in a tiny game.

Wrote one email right now being unsure how to then turn that into a game concept and "Angry Birds" came to mind - maybe some sort of cooperative multiplayer (same screen, no networking) platformer featuring the friendly Gooeys (each with a special ability, maybe exchangeable for the player(s) under some condition) up against Angry Gooey somehow? :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Some ideas on what abilities could be paired with the Gooeys:
  • Hunter - shoots things
  • Wizard - magic spell of some sort
  • Spouty Gooey - could go underwater or alternatively spray water
  • World Gooey - can roll like a ball? Or eat things and carry them around
  • Happy Gooey - uh, lick things? Be happy and squishy?
  • Artist Gooey - draw pretty things to distract enemies or make them run into tunnels painted on walls
  • Design Gooey - ? Understand diagrams, make plans?
  • Architect Gooey - build stuff
  • Contributor Gooey - ? Use general tools or powerups found in levels?
Some ideas on genres
  • Angry Birds "Friend Gooeys vs Angry Gooeys" somehow - though we might need some more Angry Gooey types from SuperSnark :D
  • Portal style puzzles involving Gooeys as the tools rather than necessarily stuff built into the levels (normal Gooey could be a trampoline, two wizard Gooeys could create a portal between them, etc). Could play up to 4 on the same screen OUYA style, that could be fun - imagine Portal 2 with four robots? The sophistication level the tests could display!
  • Tower defense with Gooey towers
  • "The Day Gronkh Ate Terasology" - Angry Gooey is trying to eat the Terasology webserver, happy Gooey with friends must try to patch system vulnerabilities and eliminate performance hogs!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump. Official rules have been posted and the contest period is open. One additional prize (of $2500) was added for the best game created using Unity, of which an extended Pro trial license is available if you ask.

All this madness with car shopping has completely ruined my schedule, however, so I'm far behind even without counting this. Sad :fluttercry: