Path/Tunnel w/lit torch

metouto

Contributor
Art
(I placed this in wrong section :oops: )

Played a little today with the new and good looking (my thinking ;) ) torches ... I marked a small path (only 3 torches) and then waited for night to fall and took this picture ....

The next three shots are of a short tunnel I made ....

they are all 3 pictures of me looking back at 2 holes I blow in the ground and then made a tunnel. It was dark outside at the time the last 3 pictures were taken ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I was wondering about that :D

Can't see the screenies at work but was wanting to remember checking when I get home

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Looks nice! :) Great to finally have some custom shapes in the game. We need some spiffy particle effects for torches and lava!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Now I can finally see the screenies. Very happy to see actual "normal" stuff made in-game - when you work on it you can easily forget the whole point of actually doing something in-game

I can't wait to see a fortress dug out of the ceiling in one of those mountains that generate with a huge partial hollow underneath them - lit by torches

metouto

Contributor
Art
I forgot ...Question .....

:?: Is there a reason that I can not put a torch on the ceiling of my tunnel :?:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah - I haven't looked at the code but likely there are only two ways to place a torch, either on top of a block or on any side of a block. Placing a torch on the bottom of a block, sticking down, may not make sense from a realism perspective as the fire would climb up and ruin the torch very quickly.

Not that permanently burning torches really make sense from a realism approach but anyway.... :)

Eventually we'll probably have lanterns or other things you can hang from a ceiling (normally just done with blocks you attach torches to the side of, or glowstone analogues, etc)

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Letting torches be an infinite light source (especially when carried is a no-go in my humble opinion). This is more like a "tech demo". What about lanterns which need some rare resources to operate? Torches should burn down quite quickly both on the ground an in the player's hands. Hm. What are you plans here Cerv? :geek:

metouto

Contributor
Art
If we plan to use ovens to melt down things (silver, gold, etc etc) and the ovens use wood or coal then why not lanterns with the same limitations ????

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'd like to see no unlimited fuel sources down the road. But lots of ways to organize a supply line so effectively you can keep your fortress/estate lit on the inside without ever having to involve yourself in manual refueling (that's what minions and ingenious contraptions are for)

If finite torches becomes too much of a hassle i figure they can be made a special case where they'll extinguish for a while, but then you can just light them up again if you walk around with an open flame. Or maybe that's just my teeth gnashing from seeing ancient abandoned tombs in Skyrim still lit up like on festival day just when you happen to pass through, and with tiny candles no less, rargh! ;)

Lanterns and such as an example could simply run on what most of them do in RL - a source of distilled oil. For large projects your source of oil could even be brought in via pipeline :D