Resolved Problems starting the game.

TheNH813

I downloaded Terasology and was excited to try it out but it refuses to load.
I searched everywhere for the system requirements but could not find them.
How many CPU cores/OpenGL version/RAM is required?
I have a single core 3.7GHZ hypeerthreaded Pentium 4 and 1.75GB of RAM.
Please help as I want to try it out.
Same problem on a freind's core i7 laptop that has 8GB of RAM.
Using latest stable version.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Can you please tell us what graphics cards you and your friend have? Most problems occur due to outdated drivers or too old cards.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
What Skaldarnar said :)

Computer 1 sounds like it may be right at the edge of too old - I suspect it is paired with a somewhat old video card. Got the latest drivers for it?
Computer 2 is clearly newer, but as a laptop unless it is meant for gaming likely has integrated Intel graphics, which tends to have poor compatibility :(

OpenGL version - unsure, but fairly certain it is 2.something or later

Always curious to track down and fix the easy things, so if you can get us more details, the exact errors logged, and so on, maybe we can make some improvements :)

TheNH813

Friend has Intel Iris graphics and I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 that is overclocked 200% of oroginal speed @400MHZ (something close to that).
As a comparason (I know Terasology is more graphics heavy that Minecraft) my pc runs Minecraft @ 40-60FPS and I tested it on my friends to close to 300FPS. From what you said my GPU is old (true, its a 2001 LOL) and my friends are probally incompatable. Sorry for not checking back but iv been so busy lately. Im thinking of getting THIS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500305 ZORAC ZF-60408-20L OPENGL 4.2. I can run on my current graphics OpenGL 1.5.7. I was going to get this anyway because some games still lagg a bit on the more complex scenes. Its just a matter of when I get my next Master Card gift card to order it if I have to. The CPU is also only built for 2.4GHZ I shorted some pins on the botttom to force it faster LOL. Hope this info helps.

TheNH813

Edit isnt working for some reason, odd. Sorry for so many posts.
The error is: Mandatory OpenGL versions missing. Considered updating GPU drivers?
Thats all it says. The log is completely blank so attaching it would be useless.
Forceware 93.X to be exact. The latest version compatable with my card.

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Edit isnt working for some reason, odd. Sorry for so many posts.
The error is: Mandatory OpenGL versions missing. Considered updating GPU drivers?
Thats all it says. The log is completely blank so attaching it would be useless.
Forceware 93.X to be exact. The latest version compatable with my card.
Seems like the newest diver available for your GPU isn't supporting the mandatory OpenGL version and thus many of the OpenGL extensions Terasology utilizes. There isn't much we can do about that - sorry. :(

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Terasology requires support for OpenGL 2.0 at a minimum, I believe.

Geforce 4 MX is based on Geforce 2 architecture (I am frustrated the Nvidia chose to give it a 4 label). As such it doesn't support more than openGL 1.5 or so.

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Terasology requires support for OpenGL 2.0 at a minimum, I believe.

Geforce 4 MX is based on Geforce 2 architecture (I am frustrated the Nvidia chose to give it a 4 label). As such it doesn't support more than openGL 1.5 or so.
True that.

I removed the usage of 3.x extensions a while ago, but we're using stuff all over the 2.x era of OGL.

But to be honest - even if that GPU would be able to run the game, you wouldn't have too much fun playing it I guess. :/

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
TheNH813 - thanks for reporting back :)

The video card you linked looks great, should run about anything

No problem on the post count / no edit. Curiously, are you getting a blank text box when you hit edit? That started happening for me a while ago. Looks like the text loads briefly but then gets blanked out. Going to "More Options" in the edit window loads a full page with the correct text. Not sure what's up with that.

Here's for hoping you'll get the new card soon so you can play :D