Reflective and refractive water

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
As requested by Cervator I've been working on an advanced version of our "water shader" the last hour . I've never considered to add this feature because of the extremely high additional rendering costs (the world has to be rendered multiple times).

The implementation is far from perfect and is still work in progress. But I have to admit... The effect looks quite nice in a blocky world.

Screen1.jpgScreen2.jpg

I'll might put this new version up into "develop" this evening... So watch out for a new "Uber" graphics option.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
make it optional? working on option screens, want me to add one?

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Ah! Thought about that as I read your thread... If you want to? I would appreciate it! :)

We could need some other options though... Like waving grass, animated water and maybe blur intensity.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
know what, I had input and mods, I'll add video and move the existing settings to it and add those you listed

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
with a bit of luck I'll have all that by t'morra.

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
Looks really cool!

BTW if anybody cares, on the Mac (Snow Leopard) if I pick non-ugly graphics mode TS crashes. That started the first time I used it and has never got better. Sad :(

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
The OpenGL implementation in Snow Leopard is so full off holes that I stopped supporting it back in days. There are many simple things in GLSL that just don't work correctly (like initializing constant arrays and such if I remember correctly). I'm glad it works on the lowest settings at the moment... And that is mostly by accident.

I've only go Lion here at home so I can not really test it. A log might help me to get annoyed again. :) So feel free to post one.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
blur intensity
don't see that one in the current config, what values should it have?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
As requested by Cervator I've been working on an advanced version of our "water shader" the last hour .
Hehe, if by "requested" you mean "mentioned" - I suspect you just started playing with a new graphics tech and couldn't help yourself! :D

Looks great, incidentally. Looking forward to getting a chance to play on the new Uber :)

overdhose - I don't think we have any blur settings, pretty sure that's just hard coded. If you can find the numbers just make up some low/normal/high settings :geek:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
yeah I am gonna finish my screens then start linking the functionality.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I was also planning to make a controller screen btw where I could configure my controller... so still some work left. And need that to add some key bindings like for hiding gui.