Reviving Leap Motion?

zeokav

Contributor
Hi y'all!
So I finally got done with an internship I was carrying out, and I decided to get back to Terasology with the hope of understanding more of what's going on so I can (hopefully) learn a bit more before the GSoC applications start.
Going through the repo, I found a branch that had some leap motion stuff which was updated like 4 years back. Are there any plans of bringing it back? (Since I have a leapmotion controller lazing around in my room)

Also, have you guys decided on what ideas will be put up from summer of code this year already?

Cervator

Project Lead and Community Wizard
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Belated heya :)

I just posted a GSOC 2017 thread: http://forum.terasology.org/threads/gsoc-2017-ideas-phase-dev-meeting-sat-jan-21st.1770/

I did most the Leap Motion stuff years back. I don't know if it'll at all be useful anymore. It is/was a GSOC item but at this point I'm not sure how valid it would be on its own.

There is a pending PR on GitHub about controllers for VR that might be interesting to you, since it seems somewhat conceptually close to a Leap Motion controller. Maybe check that out some.

One possibility might be a GSOC level item to come up with an in-game VR interface with some sort of content attached. Right now we just have the support, but nothing much to really do with it. I noticed a mash-up in the past using a VR headset + Leap Motion attached on front to bring up a "typical" (could it be considered typical yet?) VR interface attached to your arm in-game. That was pretty cool. I wonder if we could do something similar.