Archived Simplified Linux launch script

dottel

For the lazy Linux(Ubuntu) user, this requires a tiny bit of work but makes life easier.

1.) Right click on desktop, create a new empty document. I simply named mine Terasology. A file type extension is not required.

2.) Place the follow text in to said file:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd ~/install/game/terasology/TerasologyOmega
java -Xms128m -Xmx2048m -jar libs/Terasology.jar -homedir
3.) Replace the path to your Terasology install accordingly, also the -Xms and -Xmx attributes should be changed according to how much system ram you want to make available to Java.

4.) Save and close the file. Right click the file and go to properties, permissions and check "Run as executable."

5.) Optionally you can make a custom icon and change it by right clicking on the file and going to the properies (left click on exsisting icon image). I used the Terasology logo off of the front page, the little green slime guy and just cropped everything else out. Simple.

6.) Open Nautilus (the default file manager in Ubuntu). Go to edit, preferences and under the behaviour tab mark "Run executable text files when they are opened"

7.) Have fun

8.) Buy me a beer and proceed to step 9

9.) Repeat step 8

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Have you considered using the launcher, by the way? It is meant to offer easy options for a lot of the extras like setting Java options, game/data dirs, version to use, etc :)

More testing of it would always be nice!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
:D

Launcher is OS generic, should work on pretty much all Windows/Linux/Mac. But if you play around with it and find any issues do let us know.

I'm going to move this over to the Suggestions forum and archive it there, thanks for the initiative! :)

dottel

All I see in the launcher zip file is TerasologyLauncher.exe, am I missing something? As I am sure you well know exe binaries do not run on linux.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep there is a bin dir with other launch scripts

Not really sure why we keep those in a /bin. But I guess it might be more Linuxy that way ... :)