Inactive Space

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Name: Space
Summary: Space Idea in a nutshell: Have planets that you can travel in and out of without a loading screen (Like when you enter the nether in minecraft. No loading screen like that) So, you could just go outside of the atmosphere and be in space. Also, Mobs, and different races on different planets? (Similar planets to Main Planet) Different kinds of Planets: like large, low-density gas giants, and smaller, rocky terrestrials. Also able to build space stations for artificial air and gravity maybe also, every planet has a different background and the world similar to the main world may have quests and stuff for you to do while you're on that planet, and others may be dangerous. Open to suggestions I will add any suggestions to this list.
Scope: Core Content
Current Goal: Space
Phase: Design/Planning
Curator: Josh
Related: World Generation?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey Josh,

I don't know if it could perfectly align to the world generation (without a loading screen), but what about treating space as another level (like the Nether). But instead of displaying a static loading screen we can provide some kind of flight sequence/rocket start/... to "hide" the loading screen.

Furthermore, I think there needs to be lot of "technic details" the player has to do like building the space station, research for new propulsion methods (unless he wants to travel endless through space...) and so on.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that it would be pretty neat if we can show other planets/moons on the sky (by night, or even by day for a more fantastic style).

All together, I think your space suggestion could be a good solution for different lore aproaches. Different consistent background stories can be settled on different planets and the player can explore a complete new world by traveling to another planet.

Concluding, my main suggestions would be:
- maybe a seperated space layer from "normal" world
- research for new technologies
- different lores/background stories

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Well, the loading screen thing is pretty weird, how would you go about doing that to make it realistic? Because I don't want it so you have to go through a portal or something because that's a bad idea in my opinion, it is possible to make it so you can leave the world without a loading screen, Me and Cervator and Immortius were talking about Vertical Chunks, which would allow for there to be no loading screen hopefully. Also, we also discussed different background stories and quests and stuff I guess I forgot to add it to the summary. Anyway, I'll add the Research for new technologies into the summary because that would be nice. I know a lot about space and how it works so I can come up with some pretty cool technologies for people to discover and make.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
This isn't so much one feature as a huge pile of individual features. I'd suggest spinning off smaller incubator threads for more topic-specific scope (one at a time). Quests etc are completely different, for instance, you'd do a quest interface as a core system / core content feature then do space quests like more of an addon. Some of the features might be core systems while others likely more like mods (that can be organized like miniions is currently / will be)

I'd love to see all this stuff, but start small, implement, push to GitHub, we integrate to main, then start the next piece ;)

"Current Goal: Space" for instance is waaaay out of scope. Try something like "load a second world (other planet) separately from the main world (start location) and toggle back and forth easily (maybe through a portal)"

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
This isn't so much one feature as a huge pile of individual features. I'd suggest spinning off smaller incubator threads for more topic-specific scope (one at a time). Quests etc are completely different, for instance, you'd do a quest interface as a core system / core content feature then do space quests like more of an addon. Some of the features might be core systems while others likely more like mods (that can be organized like miniions is currently / will be)

I'd love to see all this stuff, but start small, implement, push to GitHub, we integrate to main, then start the next piece ;)

"Current Goal: Space" for instance is waaaay out of scope. Try something like "load a second world (other planet) separately from the main world (start location) and toggle back and forth easily (maybe through a portal)"
Let me get more into what I meant by "Space" I meant space itself, so you're able to go into space, not planets not anything else, just able to leave the world and go into space for this Incubator. Next Incubator will be Planets.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Still finding this very vague. How is the player going to leave the world? What exactly is the effect of being in space?

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Still finding this very vague. How is the player going to leave the world? What exactly is the effect of being in space?
I was planning to have it so you just somehow flew up and got into space, but after reading the height discussion, That's probably going to mind pony me. And the effect of space is just more exploration and more stuff to do, on the normal world you can only mine and do stuff like that, but when you're in space you can pretty much do anything :p I don't know 100% on what you will actually be doing in space besides exploring planets and building things.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's probably going to mind pony me.
*shifty giggle* :trollestia:

It is still too big and vague. Try this mind exercise: Hypothetically describe your concept to another programmer who doesn't know anything about space, with enough detail so implementation can begin with nothing other than your design notes

Open-ended potential like you describe is great fun to think about, but not really very easy to implement without picking a smaller area to detail further and focus on first :)

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
*shifty giggle* :trollestia:

It is still too big and vague. Try this mind exercise: Hypothetically describe your concept to another programmer who doesn't know anything about space, with enough detail so implementation can begin with nothing other than your design notes

Open-ended potential like you describe is great fun to think about, but not really very easy to implement without picking a smaller area to detail further and focus on first :)
If someone needs the design notes i'll draw them a pretty picture describing how space will be.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
While normally I'll say a picture is worth a thousand words said picture does need to be detailed in that case instead of simply a drawing of a happy Gooey flying a spaceship :D

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
While normally I'll say a picture is worth a thousand words said picture does need to be detailed in that case instead of simply a drawing of a happy Gooey flying a spaceship :D
Well, I was going to have it very detailed space wise, like my plans for the whole space but, happy Gooey flying a spaceship works too.

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
There was a World Gen meeting today, and I got some ideas and some guidance kind of, on how space will work. So I will get Space out of the Planning stage once we're done with Cubic chunks.

Cool idea. I think that the easiest way to make space travels could be that you first craft a spaceship, than place it on the ground and then use it like you use a chest or a door. Then you would come to a screen that displays the starting world in the middle and about 4 other worlds. Then, you can click on one of the worlds that you want to travel to. Then the game will generate a world that is smaller than(or as big as) the starting world. There you spawn and the spaceship also spawns some blocks from your spawning position. When you go back you spawn at the same block as you stood on before you used the spaceship. If you go back to a world that you already spawned on the world should not re-generate, but you will be in the same world as it was last time you went there.