Targetted Java Version

Wakka

Contributor
I am running Terasology on a Macbook OS X Yosemite and it runs fine with both Java 7 and Java 8. If I understand correctly, you're going to target Java 8 in the future? Does this mean that for contributions I could use Lambdas? Because current the code seams still to run fine with Java 7.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah we'll get on Java 8 at some point, hard to say exactly when. Could be soon if all the pieces fall into place just right. One of the big ones is Oracle actually declaring 8 officially the thing to use, you can get it but default is still 7.

They could declare that tomorrow for all I know (heck, they could've done it already, although I don't think that would escape @shartte's attention) and we could be on 8 within a month. Or it could be delayed some more, but certainly will be within a year, maybe 3-6 months? But that's pretty much a guess

So at this very moment no Java 8 requiring code will be accepted into the main engine branch or the main modules, although Java8 branches or modules could be done if there's a desire to play around with it :)