Terasology Code

Eliwood

Hello there. I've been working to learn Java + LWJGL and I feel comfortable enough to start working on a project of my own. My question is: Since Terasology is open-source, does this enable me to use the code as a sort of "guide"? I won't be actually using any of the code - rather I just want to follow the architecture, see if I can pick up on some good programming conventions, seeing as I want to make a voxel-esque engine myself. Once I get the basic engine down (Things like rendering and basic data structure) odds are that I'll need to divert from the engine to something completely different.

This IS okay, right? I don't want to step on any feet; I just want to try and learn, really.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome! Yes, that is perfectly acceptable :)

Through game modes the game should be moddable to a fairly extreme level, it could look almost entirely different and play another type of game. So I always encourage trying to avoid reinventing the wheel and building something interesting inside Terasology. Still, I understand building everything from scratch can be a great learning experience!

ream

Sorry for offtopic, but since this thread has interested me, I would like to ask a question about general programmind and beyond. I've finished reading tutorials and books about entry-level Java programming (e.g. Head first series), and came to a dead end - I don't know what to begin with. I tried looking for some info, milestones and "beginner's first ptojects", like making tetris for gamedevs, but found nothing or irrelevant stuff. So I want to ask for a piece of advice, from a java guru to a beginner. I don't want to start with a huge project. Sorry for my english :pinkiesmile:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
There should be a ton of tutorial stuff online for any appropriate level, you might want to look around some more, maybe through Java specific sites rather than straight Google.

A good place to start might be http://www.java-gaming.org - they have a while tutorial section :)

Robocode can also be a fun way to learn: http://robocode.sourceforge.net

And good luck! :thumbsup: