Terasology Multiplayer

AlbireoX

Unsuccessful Javascript Evangelist
Contributor
Logistics
I believe that the first thing you need to do to get a game like this out there is, well, multiplayer.

(Also, please speed up the game somehow. It runs terribly on my good computer.)

I pitched out the idea of Spout server before, but it uses a completely different architecture than Terasology.

How about a distributed server, similar to BitTorrent? Of course, you may have unreliable clients, but the other clients will check the others for hacks.

Or how about just a regular server, also built on an Entity system?

There are many ways to approach this, but I believe that this and the Modding API are the most important things right now. In the future, everything should be built on the Modding API, anyway.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah there's some tinkering starting on this (like immortius' multiplayer branch) and some discussion here and there. SpoutServer has come up, but unsure about the architecture issues. I might find one of the older threads while sorting, might have more details. Fleshing out the mod stuff a bit more would also help.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Yeah, I've started looking into this. Going to take a bit as various systems need to be refactored to allow them to work in either headless or client situations. Basically I'm going for a server<->client model using Netty and Protobuf, integrated with both the World and Entity Systems.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I ended up putting this on the backburner, partially to get some preparatory work out of the way (restructure of world data) and partially to address two features which I consider to be of more importance (entity physics - because there's not much point to a game where you can't interact with things, and the modding/package system so that people can work on features without having to mess with the engine - prioritised up due to a sudden increase in popularity ;) ). So I guess I'll be back on this in October or so.