Archived Terasology on XBOX360

NowNewStart

Contributor
I think It's a topic we should talk about earlier or later.
We know Minecraft is also playable on xbox and just think about Terasology on it.
Actually, Java cannot be run on xbox, but I find a framework called "Mono"(http://www.mono-project.com/Java) which converts Java Code into C#.
I think it is possible to convert Terasology to xbox, but the bigger problem will be LWJGL.
Write your review in this topic, and one time, we could play Terasology on xbox :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah this one unfortunately isn't very straight forward, sort of akin to Terasology on Windows Phone or something like that (although Xbox admittedly has a bigger market). Mono works in theory but is extremely limited if I understand correctly, so vast parts of the game wouldn't work and performance likely would be awful.

If you look closely the Minecraft Pocket Edition is itself extremely limited and not at all like full MC on Android, iPad, etc. It is a very pale MC clone itself, really. I figure the one on Xbox is similar in not being a magic straight copy of the Java version.

Also - moved to Suggestions. But I don't see it happening for a looooong time, unless somebody shows up with a really burning desire to do a thorough port (and the ocean of free time it would take to make it work, let alone maintain it)

christutty

My understanding is that Mono was originally built to support the Windows .Net framework on Linux so that Windows apps could be moved to Linux easily. The same infrastructure that supports the .Net bytecode interpretation can support Java bytecodes, but I'd be surprised if it actually converted the Java to C# - it's more about allowing Java apps to run on top of Mono.

An Xbox version of an app is much more involved with all of the details in interacting with the hardware and the platform - how does the controller interaction change the game? Does world saving change? Does the hardware infrastructure handle your game code badly? How do you interact with the player profile? How is the game installed? How are updates released?

Then you're into the work associated with engaging with the Xbox deployment process - just because your game runs on Xbox doesn't mean that it's right in front of people. The 'indie' games are definitely something you've got to have instructions to find on the Xbox - Microsoft makes games visible that it's making money from, they're not a community. It's debatable whether you'd get enough community engagement and financial return to make it worth the effort.