Terasology server perks

dottel

So, a lot of MC servers out there did, and still do, offer extra unlockable features for real world money. Servers are not free and a good one is not cheap, so I was thinking if it is okay at some point to charge money for perks. Given some cash flow on a server, beyond being self sustaining, I would donate a percentage back to Terasology. I know in the early days especially this model really helped Minecraft achieve a large and varied audience. I just wanted to get some feedback on this and the communities stance on this. Thank you.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
It is probably too early, we don't have any appreciable player base to use servers yet :)

That said I'm not opposed to server owners trying to find ways to help pay for their hosting costs. We just haven't gotten to a point where we have thought much about the details yet.

In any case Terasology is open source so unlike MC there's no EULA etc to worry about.

dottel

Yeah but Terasology gives me a warm and fuzzy, so I want to be aligned with its' interests. :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You're here! That's pretty aligned :D

Right now willing effort is a large part of what sets direction. We can make fancy plans all day long but until somebody spends time working on it nothing happens, soooo ...

dottel

Yeah, I haven't yet gotten my dev environment set up and gotten oriented with the project really. Work talks bullshit walks. That being said, I will only be working on add on type content. Huge mobs, dungeons, that sort of thing. :)