Terasology system of measurement

Esereja

Contributor
I think we should discus about stardardizing some units for making easier to speak about our game universe and understand it. As example we need base units for distances speed and so on. Thus I would ask for ideas for what units should be standartized and what their names would be. I mean by standartization that if you use diferent units in your mod, you should explain what they are in standart units.
I would suggest next units to be standartized:

[Unit name] [Unit symbol] [Quantity name] Definition

[Blocks] [?] [Length]
One block in terasology world, I think it is 1 metre in real world for comparison purposes.

[Squares] [?^2] [Area]

[Cubes] [cube] [Space]

[Kilogram] [kg] [Mass]

[Ticks] [tick] [Time]
I think we should have some sort of universal way to express time in terasology world, not depending on dimension, world and who knows what. game tick maybe

[blocks per tick] [?/tick] [Speed]

[Celcius] [C] [Temperature]
Is celcius good system for temperatures or should we leave that for every one to decide?

[MilliBlock] [mB] [Amount of substance]
we need way to express how much liquid we have in container, or how much substance is needed to create something.

[Torch] [Torch] [Luminous intensity]
Amount light that torch illuminate.

[Newton] [N] [Force, weight]
force needed to accelerate object at acceleration of 1 block/tick^2

[Joule] [J] [energy, work, heat]
work needed to ably force of 1 newton trough out distance of one block

regular SI prefixes apply to all units proposed (e.g. milli, kilo).
Does any one think this kind of thinking is usefull or am I just complicating things?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Going into too much detail may be complicating things - so far I've just more or less assumed we're going with metric and standard scientific units. We just haven't really had much need for measuring a lot of stuff.

Temperature is probably the main thing where it would be good to pick C vs. F (I say C). Or we could store it in Kelvin and just give the user the option to display in C, F, or anything else they like :)

Mass is likely going to be whatever the physics system uses, there are bound to be units in there already.

Time - there's an existing world time but that indeed would perhaps get tricky when going beyond one planet/dimension. Tick could be useful for some things (server monitoring), but since it varies based on system performance and between clients it cannot really be used for time, it needs to conform to time somehow (lag correction)

Esereja

Contributor
Reason why I tought thease is If every mod uses diferent standart it can become messy. But it may not be proplem.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
MilliBlock sounds wiered, espacially if you prefix it with SI "milli" ... why not use Liter for liquids? Or something like that ... :barefoot:

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
A block is a cubic meter, which is 1000L. So that's convenient.